Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

6 minutes ago, JHDK said:

I always interpreted it literally. That helps in an definition. So, to me, it means a game that literally has game systems very much directly similar to Symphony of the Night.

That's exactly why it's such a frustrating term. It's used to describe games that are nothing like ALL THE TIME. I've seen people call Zelda or Souls games Metroidvanias because open world-ish design and rpg mechanics, or earning tools that open up areas for you. 

It's uses the broadest, vaguest, most "I have 0 talent for describing things so I'm gonna describe things by directly referencing otherthings that are similar on the most surface of levels."

14 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

That's exactly why it's such a frustrating term. It's used to describe games that are nothing like ALL THE TIME. I've seen people call Zelda or Souls games Metroidvanias because open world-ish design and rpg mechanics, or earning tools that open up areas for you. 

It's uses the broadest, vaguest, most "I have 0 talent for describing things so I'm gonna describe things by directly referencing otherthings that are similar on the most surface of levels."

Yup. It needs to be a directly similar experience for the term to have any value.

If you call something a Metroid, I expect very similar attributes re: 2D labyrinth with power ups and weapons and armor.

If you call something an Igavania, I expect a lengthy side-scrolling leveling RPG, with butt tons of weapons, armors, and other items, with secrets galore, all tucked behind item/skill gated puzzles and bosses standing in the way of your progress.

Hell, Metroid is more of an Igavania than 99% of the games calling themselves Metroidvanias. And that's just plain wrong on so many levels.

Edited by JHDK
13 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Yup. It needs to be a directly similar experience for the term to have any value.

If you call something a Metroid, I expect very similar attributes re: 2D labyrinth with power ups and weapons and armor.

If you call something an Igavania, I expect a lengthy side-scrolling leveling RPG, with butt tons of weapons, armors, and other items, with secrets galore, all tucked behind item/skill gated puzzles and bosses standing in the way of your progress.

Hell, Metroid is more of an Igavania than 99% of the games calling themselves Metroidvanias. And that's just plain wrong on so many levels.

Igavanias are more like Metroids*

But yea

sheeeittt, some random Cuphead action from DocFirebird here... (*last boss spoilers here in case you still haven't played this legendary shit for some odd reason)

This was one of the best games of the gen, imo... the art design itself is a masterpiece, perfectly matching that "1930s cartoon" aesthetic:

Oddly enough, the final boss isn't the toughest, imo...the top-ranks that come to mind are definitely that green dragon and Dr. Kahl's Robot... here's a clip of this insanity in case you don't know:

edit--quick note though... I'd always advise to just hit with a super the instant Robot's head flies off....if I recall, that makes for a super-easy kill in the 2nd phase of the fight since that super takes nearly all of his health from phase 2, so only a few follow-up shots after that finish it, then you're on to phase 3 of the fight.

Edited by MillionX
4 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Planning on streaming tonight, I'll hit you up. 

I'm streaming it for my buddy who loves watching scary video games lol. The only other guy that watches regularly is my homie that just had a kid and falls asleep during each stream🤣

I added you from there. I stream late night myself but nothing super exciting just me being derp on Magic:The Gathering. I plan on another one on friday. 🤣

What's a game you wish you could experience again for the first time? 

For me, I think it would be Castlevania Rondo Of Blood. I remember seeing screenshots of the game back in the 90s in game magazines years before Dracula X Chronicles was even a thought and thinking how awesome the game looked.

I had a hacked PSP in the months leading up to DXC's release and someone released a .zip of a PCE emu and the Rondo of Blood cue+bin and after downloading and installing it, it worked and I was beyond stoked. Finally, I'd get to experience this unreleased treasure in my favorite series of all time! 

Granted it wasn't perfect, it was on a small PSP screen, and the emulation was a bit rough in spots, but it was one of the most exciting first-play experiences I think I ever had. 

22 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Any game with an emphasis on exploration and discovery. So any Souls like DarkSouls 1 or Bloodborne, The best Zelda games (ALTTP, Majoras Mask, fucking Breath of the Wild) of Witcher 3 or something. Something with a big world full of wonders to discover.

Edited by RSG3
13 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Bloodborne is another one I'd pick. Easily one of my all time favorite games. 

Oooh another one, but im going to cheat and say the entire Legacy of Kain series instead of just one game, because the core series (Blood Omen 1 and the Soul Reaver games) narrative through line so hard with each other i would consider them one experience over all, even if they are 4 games in total.

Yea I said 4. Fuck Blood Omen 2

7 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:
Savage

This is why I don’t mobile game on my phone.*

*the only games I own are mobile ports of existing games (bastion, final fantasy, dragon quest, etc) or games that sell expansions (Ticket to Ride, Ascension, etc) 

Get that MTX and gacha shit out of my face. I want nothing to do with either. 

Edited by iStu X
On 10/19/2020 at 7:50 PM, DoctaMario said:

You have excellent taste in CV games, those are among my favorites too! I find people who started with the older games are more likely to play and enjoy the metroidvanias than the other way around although even most die hard metroidvania people like at least Rondo. 

i think SotN, while certainly a bit overrated, is still a great game and was a pretty big risk to take at a time when the series probably DID need a new direction so as not to end up like Mega Man. I've played it quite a lot even though when it came out, it took me awhile to really get into it because it didn't have a lot of the things I liked about CV. But I think it stands up as one of the best metroidvanias because it seemed like IGA spent so much time trying to recapture what made it so great in the first place, that the subsequent metroidvanias only showed how great it really was. 

That said, I'm a hardcore CV fan, and if it says Castlevania on the cover, I'll spare no expense and at least give it a chance, so when Konami would decide to go in new directions, to me it meant that while it may not turn out the best, it would at least be something different. So I loved the LoS direction, just like I liked Judgment, and I even had a really good time with Grimoire Of Souls. So I don't understand someone being a fan of the series for a long time and not wanting to see it potentially take new and interesting directions. It's not like you can't play the old games until you're dead if you don't like the new ones. 

late to this

I do care about the series but I lied before lol. iI have played other  Iga games as well like the lament of innocence and curse of darkness but i never really liked them, the level design was a little to repetitive for me.  By the way since you're a hardcore Castlevania fan you probably remember the canceled Castlevania game for the dreamcast.

It looked so good same aesthetic as the N64 Castlevania games i was looking forward to it but then it was later canceled due to demise of the Dreamcast, quite a shame honestly.

12 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

For me, I think it would be Castlevania Rondo Of Blood. I remember seeing screenshots of the game back in the 90s in game magazines years before Dracula X Chronicles was even a thought and thinking how awesome the game looked.

I had a hacked PSP in the months leading up to DXC's release and someone released a .zip of a PCE emu and the Rondo of Blood cue+bin and after downloading and installing it, it worked and I was beyond stoked. Finally, I'd get to experience this unreleased treasure in my favorite series of all time! 

Granted it wasn't perfect, it was on a small PSP screen, and the emulation was a bit rough in spots, but it was one of the most exciting first-play experiences I think I ever had. 

Final Fantasy 6 and A Link to the Past.

There's going to be at least 3 sets of armor and a weapon exclusive to the Digital Deluxe Version of Demon's Souls. 

This is not the game for that shit man. /:

There's also a lot of gameplay details being revealed. 

- the roll system is now omnidirectional (8-way, fucking NICE) 
- Bluepoint has indeed changed some models after fan feedback (Flamelurker)
- AI and logic remain untouched
- Fractured Mode = mirror mode
- Old Monk fight is still in

Mirror mode could actually be sick.... 

Edited by M A R T I A N
2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Ain't pre-order armor and weapons always trash though?

I think you're misunderstanding why a lot of people play these games lol

But to answer your question, they did this once before in Dark Souls 2 and yes the weapons were booty. 

Edited by M A R T I A N
12 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

I think you're misunderstanding why a lot of people play these games lol

But to answer your question, they did this once before in Dark Souls 2 and yes the weapons were booty. 

It's not that I don't understand why people play. It's why get bend out of shape over something that historically never been good. I would understand if these weapons and armor gave players in unfair advantage early on but Souls pre order stuff has never been that.

I wait for a wiki to copy and paste whatever morsel of lore these items contain. 

13 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Chrono Trigger, no contest.

I'm saving my 3DS with the DS cart for when I inevitably start to deteriorate mentally. Then someone can just put that in my hands and I get to experience Chrono Trigger for the first time every day for the rest of my life. 

43 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Not quite... I saw you posted the trailer and I posted GI's vid talking about the game.

Damn those thumbnails are almost verbatim. 

Welp, that's a oof. And it doesn't seem like you can remove videos from a post on mobile so... Can't even edit it down. 😑

Here's what's included btw. 

20201029_084855.jpg.d571f1d9a0de7bb4fa5e1aff24b65cf3.jpg

Edited by M A R T I A N
2 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Damn those thumbnails are almost verbatim. 

Welp, that's a oof. And it doesn't seem like you can remove videos from a post on mobile so... Can't even edit it down. 😑

Here's what's included btw. 

20201029_084855.jpg.d571f1d9a0de7bb4fa5e1aff24b65cf3.jpg

You can...its just a bit cumbersome.  You gotta click on the little x (?)  in the upper left of the video then delete it.

57 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's not that I don't understand why people play. It's why get bend out of shape over something that historically never been good. 

I feel like if you understood, you wouldn't be following up with this question. There's a billion reasons someone might want to use a piece of armor or a certain weapon in Souls. 

The Moonlight Greatsword in Bloodborne fuckin sucks compared to the thing in pretty much every other Souls. It's still the goddamn Moonlight Greatsword. People wanna use it, lol. 

10 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Fashion souls?

Sure, that's one. Maybe they think the lore accompanying it is cool. Maybe the moveset is fun. Maybe they like that type of weapon. Maybe it has some kind of special effect. Shit, in Dark Souls 2 there was a crown that slowly replenished spells as long as you wore it. 

Even with the old bonus weapons, they were only pre order incentives. You got them even if you didn't actually pre order. This stuff is literally locked to different editions of the game. The more expensive edition of the game, mind you.