Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

3 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

I still feel the best sports game ever is Super Dodge Ball for the NES.

Yes it's jank, didn't have official sponsors or licensing, and the rules didn't reflect real world play, and there power moves. But its pure game play fun. You even play a evil Duplicate version of your team before playing the USSR team (or was it the other way around). 

Also there no micro transactions, no forced updates and no validation servers. 

NBA Jam or Tecmo NBA Basketball.

NFL Blitz.

Or even Tecmo Football.

This guy sums things up pretty well... about Back 4 Blood's ridiculous single player penalties....

They said they're "looking into it" regarding solo play....but we all know that the translation for that is a company's "yeah fuck off." answer.... and they hope you eventually forget and stop asking about it.

and also---what the hell is up with game-chat being naturally on even if you're in party chat?  I've never seen that nonsense happen in literally any other multiplayer game I've played on an xbox system.   The more I think about this game, the more I'm starting to regret spending money on this shit.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, Scanman said:

NBA Jam or Tecmo NBA Basketball.

NFL Blitz.

Or even Tecmo Football.

I like Sport Games without the Pro leagues licensing influences. Moment the NFL, NBA, MLB and such got involved the scene changed.
And not always for the better. 
Blitz was cool, but to me things changed when Sports titles in the 32/64 bit era had to have licensing and yearly updates and Sport titles became worthless 
You no longer are buying a new game, just a roster update. 

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Best sports game is NBA Street Vol. 2, I will hear nothing else 😤

Obviously a Troll post if I ever seen one. 

Monkey Race in Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania channeled its inner Mario Kart. I'm doing silver in grand prix on the last lap and the AI blasts me with so many freaking items. Missiles, cubes. It was the first time in a long while I actually raged quit. I don't think I've ever seen so much "Can't let you do that Star Fox" in so little time.

On the subject of sports video games, i would give it to the PS2 era of the Pro Evolution Soccer series.

1st, because it was the games that i played in tournaments back when i was in college, but also because they were really great.

Keep in mind that despite living in latin america, where Futbol is king when it comes to sports, i don't like Futbol, at all.

Previous of playing PES, i didn't really knew rules and shit about the sport outside the basic ones that i learned when i was a kid playing with friends (as you do), never watched matches on tv outside the world cup finals, etc.

After starting playing it competitively, while my interest on the sport didn't really increase, my understanding of it became really good to the point tht my cousins where surprised that i was talking really technical stuff when watching some matches with them.

Honorary mentions go to

The Baseball Simulator 1000 series, specially on the NES

This shit was hilarious back in the day, with all the crazy powerups.

The NBA Jam games on SNES

The original Windjammers

Interesting...  if only I could go to that alternate timeline Earth, where the pandemic never happened, and this game came out on time without any of the drama behind the scenes... I'd be on my 3rd or 4th playthru by this point and perhaps enjoying the DLC-added clans...

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2-was-almost-cancelled-paradox-reveals/

In an interview with Nyhetsbyrån Direkt (via Avanza), Wester revealed that as Paradox took control of the series from its previous developers, it almost scrapped the game completely.

“When we lifted the game from the original developer, we had a long review in case we should end the game or run it further,” he said. “Then we were actually prepared to close the production completely. But we got a ‘pitch’ that we thought was convincing enough to run. played on and we have very good hopes that it will be a good game that meets the players’ expectations.”

Paradox has yet to reveal which studio is now handling Bloodlines 2 development. However, Wester said that it is “a very reputable and talented developer”.

In February, Paradox said it had delayed Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 out of 2021 and pulled development from studio Hardsuit Labs.

It said it had chosen to delay the game’s release for the second time in six months due to disruptions on development caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

“We have also decided that Hardsuit Labs will no longer be leading the development of Bloodlines 2, and we have started a collaboration with a new studio partner to finish work on the game,” Paradox confirmed.

“This has been a difficult decision, but we are convinced that it is the right way forward to do the game justice.”

In the Nyhetsbyrån Direkt interview, Wester also revealed that he’s interested to see how the game performs before investing more into the genre.

“I would like to see how Bloodlines is received before we bet the next big money in the genre. There is a huge desire for good games in the role-playing game genre so I absolutely do not want to close any doors. But I would like to see what happens, what can we do and how Bloodlines is received “

Edited by MillionX

Why Don't Indians Buy Gaming Consoles? (Video Game Market Tour 🇮🇳)

Why Don't Indians Buy Gaming Consoles? (Video Game Market Tour 🇮🇳), Karl Rock,  · Gaming is huge in India, but gaming consoles are nearly non-existent in India. Why is that? I went to a video game market in New Delhi to see the condition of the market and tell you why barely anyone are buying Xboxs, Playstations, or Switches in India.  This is the largest video game market in Delhi, located in Karol Bagh's Gaffar Market. But that's not saying much, because there are only 5 video game stores there! The rest of Delhi's stores are scattered around the city. It's quite a strange thing when resellers in India tend to clump around in single locations like Nehru Place for computer parts, Gaffar Market for mobile phones, or Banjara Market for antiques.  At these game stores, all consoles are available including Xbox Series X and Playstation 5. Even Nintendo switches are available, even though Nintendo doesn't officially sell in India.  If you want to avoid India's high prices for video game consoles, there's really only one way. You have to have a friend from the US carry your console back for you. That way you can avoid the incredibly high duty taxes. Or a shopping trip to Dubai will also work if you're buying multiple expensive items while you're there.

Just now, iStu X said:

It’s because on the surface both Drake and Sully are horribly miscasted. Does it mean the movie will be bad? No. But it’s going to have to do a lot of work to convince us otherwise due to the miscasting 

Exactly this. Wahlberg would have at least appeared to be a better Drake. 

I honestly have no interest in this. The games are basically shot like movies. This project doesn't resonate with me. 

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

It’s because on the surface both Drake and Sully are horribly miscasted. Does it mean the movie will be bad? Not at all. But it’s going to have to do a lot of work to convince us they made the right call with the casting. 

Part of it based on my own speculation is, Sony executives love Tom Holland and view him as someone they want to attach one of their best mass appeal franchises to outside of the co parent relationship they have with him being the MCU Peter Parker. He is also pretty young so unlike Mark or Nathan Fillion they can potentially make a lot of films with him as the lead. 

It seems nice enough, but we will see. 

After seeing Wahlberg in 2 crappy Transformers flicks, I dont care to see him in more action roles.

Wahlberg is a bit too working man. Sully should be  classier and older.

Holland would  have been good as a flashback to a young Drake, but his boyish appearance works against him here.

Nathan Fillion and Tom Hanks would have been my ideal casting.

(Yes I know he played the Sully Sullenberger the real world pilot. )

Edited by DangerousJ

playing dmc5 bloody palace. im mad. cuz i lost by time out. using nero. nero is...weak against large groups. it sucks losing by clock. its just nero versus large enemies. he's weak i love my boy, against single enemies hes strong but. groups. he aintz like v or dante. ugh. here i go again. i just wanna make it and beat stage 60 so i unlock playing that dope boss with the sword. thats the most fun in the game. damnnit.

Edited by VirginDefiler

Joe got a vid on Back 4 Blood recently...as usual he goes into great detail on things here...

One thing that's a little nitpick--- the chemistry/comradery between the characters just seems absent for some reason... the characters in both L4D games were written a bit better in terms of dialogue, imo.  The cast of this game seems more like just random people that just met each other 3 seconds ago, and are thus hesitant to say much of anything.

Edited by MillionX

Man, I been sleeping on Ghost of Tsushima after having it for months. Game is fun, somehow the side quests are enjoyable as the main campaign. It even has the "I fuckin forget how to play this shit feature" that kinda gives u tips, hints and helps you relearn some or the basics lol

Think this'll be my next project, then I'll get back to Returnal and Cyberpunk 

23 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

I take it this is a good SHMUP then? 

kelly clarkson please GIF by UglyDolls

It's really good but it's less a Shmup game and more a Shmup trainer. It has something like 4 modes based on actual games, like an Ikaruga Mode, GigaWing Mode, so on. There's like 100 "Stages" you can run each mode through and it's all for training to dodge patterns while using those games mechanics. It only has level select, there is no Arcade Mode or anything. It's pretty fun, easy sit down pick up and play, has a cool graphics style and good music.

If you wanna try it before you buy it here is the games Freeware Page.

https://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/rr_e.html

Games there as well as access to the source code

Edited by RSG3

Beat Dread, holy fuck that last boss and entire last sequence was so fucking awesome.

Spoilers for Dread ending

Spoiler

Turns out she really WAS Metroid the whole time lol

I kind of can't get over how good this game is from start to finish. I 100%'d all the areas and had fun the whole time. Some of the optional speed booster/shinespark stuff is so fucking cool.

I can barely find the words to express how impressed I am. I feel like there's a really strong chance this becomes truly a classic. I don't even know what I'd consider a negative about it honestly

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

It's really good but it's less a Shmup game and more a Shmup trainer. It has something like 4 modes based on actual games, like an Ikaruga Mode, GigaWing Mode, so on. There's like 100 "Stages" you can run each mode through and it's all for training to dodge patterns while using those games mechanics. It only has level select, there is no Arcade Mode or amything. It's pretty fun, easy sit down pick up and play, has a cool graphics style and good music. It's only a hard recommend because I got it when it was freeware. 5 bucks is worth it tho. 

I'm all for improving my skills in this genre, so they'll get my $5.

BTW for SHMUP fans or fans of the old Centipede game, I highly recommend checking out Centipede: Recharged. From the slick vector visuals, awesome soundtrack by Megan McDuffee, the game delivers excellent old-school shooting feel with modern flair. There are achievments to shoot for as well as challenges to take on if you ever tire of "Just one more game" syndrome that arcade mode hits you with. Temporary power ups are also great. Worth the $9.99 IMO.

---------------

You already know what today is. VGM Friday!

Chilling Toon Disney GIF

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Gasarocky said:

Beat Dread, holy fuck that last boss and entire last sequence was so fucking awesome.

Spoilers for Dread ending

Hide contents

Turns out she really WAS Metroid the whole time lol

I kind of can't get over how good this game is from start to finish. I 100%'d all the areas and had fun the whole time. Some of the optional speed booster/shinespark stuff is so fucking cool.

I can barely find the words to express how impressed I am. I feel like there's a really strong chance this becomes truly a classic. I don't even know what I'd consider a negative about it honestly

Agreed. If I had to nitpick anything in Dread , it'd be the lack of memorable music beside a remix or two of old themes. I feel with It being Nintendo, they couldve done better. What's there isn't bad, just doesn't leave an impression 

I got some no name black plates for my PS5 off of Amazon. Quality was surprising good. Honestly thus far at least, they are on the same level as the OEM models. Also,  Is Sony picking on DBrand because they dared them to? It's just giving them free publicity that will help them sell more product. It's a win/win for them. Dbrand pulled the old rap beef tactic. You bait your opponent when you already have a response ready. They didn't design those new plates overnight.

Oh lord...I'm seeing a video in my feed from G4TV with the tagline "Metroid Dread Review: Adam is not pleased"  Can't wait to hear what complaints he has to say regarding this game later.  If I hear anywhere in this vid "Jaffe was right" I'm turning it right off lol

vids

Spoiler

Dark Pictures Anthology:House of Ashes - Launch Trailer^

aaaand this explains why a new trailer hasn't shown up for this game in awhile

Edited by Sonichuman