Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

It's a bit odd to see this conclude without any new announcement for SF6, but it suppose Capcom thinks a SF5 tournament doesn't have a big enough reach anymore for the audience they want to sell SF6 to.

I've yet to catch up with the matches. Mena's not my favourite player but if he got out on top again he was obviously the best one that night. Would have been nice to see Zhen take it but on the other hand that could have ruined his drive for the future. Imagine what it would do to your ego if your first big tournament is the biggest tournament and you also win.

I have no opinion on the 1 million prize thing. Monetary payments in professional competitions are so out of context from real life it's something I just don't bother spending time thinking about.

3 minutes ago, delete_me said:

It's a bit odd to see this conclude without any new announcement for SF6, but it suppose Capcom thinks a SF5 tournament doesn't have a big enough reach anymore for the audience they want to sell SF6 to.

I did notice that the official stream for Capcom cup this year peaked at 30k viewers for top 16. I feel like I remember 2016 Capcom Cup reaching 100k or something.

5 hours ago, elliephil said:

I did notice that the official stream for Capcom cup this year peaked at 30k viewers for top 16. I feel like I remember 2016 Capcom Cup reaching 100k or something.

Between SFV being 7 years old and the week long Capcom Cup. I'm not surprised. Some players either didn't show up or had to DQ themselves like Chris T because they couldn't get the time off from work. That said, with the prize pool Capcom Cup X being so high, people are going to get that time off come hell or high water. 

I just thought about something. Top SF6 players are going to be making more money than WNBA players. Well I'm sure a few already do but I'm talking about like Top 16 players.

Edit: For reference Brittney Griner just signed a 1 year 165K contract. Mena just won 120K for Capcom Cup alone. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 2/20/2023 at 9:22 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

I know KOF: Allstars is printing money. That game is fucking addictive. Capcom trying to get their version of that setup.

for some reason i like KOF Arena being a 2D plane style of  gameplay and also marvel contest of the champions

thats something o wanted capcom do like marvel contest of the champions for SF having all CFN introduced fighting characters and spinoff character playable.

Edited by Shakunetsu

We don't know what the future holds but my biggest concern is the variety that we may or may not see in 6 because of that prize money. If people were willing to sell out and main/sub Luke for 120K I can only imagine what god awful mirror matches Capcom Cup is gonna bring next year. While every esports game has a meta most are team based and restrict dupes so no team is gonna have 5 Roadhogs or 5 of the same Apex characters. I don't want the comp scene to get stale because people just don't want to put in the work. Players like Vega Patch will always go with their heart I feel but you just know when 6 drops everyone is gonna be making dog shit (who is the best character) videos for the drooling masses.

Edited by TWINBLADES
39 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

We don't know what the future holds but my biggest concern is the variety that we may or may not see in 6 because of that prize money. If people were willing to sell out and main/sub Luke for 120K I can only imagine what god awful mirror matches Capcom Cup is gonna bring next year. While every esports game has a meta most are team based and restrict dupes so no team is gonna have 5 Roadhogs or 5 of the same Apex characters. I don't want the comp scene to get stale because people just don't want to put in the work. Players like Vega Patch will always go with their heart I feel but you just know when 6 drops everyone is gonna be making dog shit (who is the best character) videos for the drooling masses.

Not sure what's different now than the past decade. The 120k base 1st prize has been the same for years. In previous years it was higher because the CPT DLC that boosted it even further. Anybody that was going to tier whore has already done so. The first years of SF6 CPT is going to be similar the SFV's first year. Everyone and their mama hopped on SFV because of the CPT prize pool. Although this time around, I think SF6 is going to have an even larger initial group of tourney participants. I think SF6's EVO entry count is going be the highest SF has ever had....if they don't cap the number of entrants.