Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

44 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

If Snowden is a traitor then so are these people. It's not my fault our government applies the rules unevenly. 

I regard what Snowden, Manning, Ellsberg, etc did a patriotic acts. They didn't sell that information to anyone, they just exposed government abuse and put their lives and freedom at great risk, which is what makes them heroes in my estimation. If I were president, pardoning all of them would be one of my first acts in office. 

Edited by DoctaMario
21 minutes ago, Sonero said:

This isn't a conversation about politics. this is a conversation about a riot that happened at the capitol.

I can be unhappy about a million things from all different aisles. But that isn't really the issue. The issue is that people make up a million excuses as to how something that happened wasn't what it was. You had a whole year of having to put up with the shit asses ruining a lot of legitimately peace protests with their nonsense. And that's cool because the people playing defense for dumb dumbs on Jan 6, were the same ones that were happy to call any person showing up to a police brutality process every name in the book.

Now let's get some stuff rolling for the sake of simplicity. If you engaged in destroying private property and made up some quasi moral justification because of a crime in a different state, you're rioting and an asshole. Should get charged as much etc etc etc. Now if you stepped into the Capitol on Jan 6 with the intention that the federal government should overturn the elections, based on the definition Cornell.Edu's law school section gave us, what does that make you?

People wanna take shots at lefties for "reframing" things but goddamn if hobby lobby isn't running some hot sales on how to go about framing a lot of the Jan 6 tomfoolery. Because like in real life, and how it happened in SRK, a lot of motherfuckers are happy with propaganda so long as its propaganda that fits their world view or technically w/e shitty hot take they wanna have.

I don't want to talk about this here but at NO POINT did I ever say "Don't punish those rapscallions!" My issue is this was a near too perfect reason to extent more authoritarianism upon us. I'll leave it at that here. 

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

This is some Turning Points USA levels of selective reading. Lets go back to the whole thing:

"Most of the people who hand out state secrets to spies do it for a little bit of money.  Did they mean to betray the country in some grand sense? Probably not but thats what it amounted to.

Did the people who stormed the Capitol mean to directly fight against a constitutional process held legally at the behest of some gifted? Probably not. They still listened to him and a bunch of others give them no evidence. Then after they got zero evidence, they still acted the fool."

Last post I'm gonna make on the topic, but real quick, I didn't address it because it's a goofy argument to make that someone smart enough to get a job that includes access to state secrets doesn't understand that by SELLING those secrets to a foreign government, they are betraying their own. Your drunk driving argument would home water if every time someone drove drunk they killed someone. They don't, but every time someone someone sells state secrets, they betray their government. It's a black and white situation. 

Which is what makes it even more goofy to act like selling state secrets is somehow on the same level as breaking into a building that any tourist can visit when they come to DC. There's a lot more gray area to that, and I'd even go so far as to argue that those transgressed against on 1/6 weren't the government but more the voters themselves. But you can't commit treason against voters, only governments. We haven't even gotten into the floated around possibility that there were FBI assets egging them on, but I guess we'll have to wait until that's an approved-for-public-discussion topic to know more. 

Again, if this is treason, why is no on being charged with treason? Simply because it's not. Call it what it is, an insurrection, a rebellion, not what you want it to be. 

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I regard what Snowden, Manning, Ellsberg, etc did a patriotic acts. They didn't sell that information to anyone, they just exposed government abuse and put their lives and freedom at great risk, which is what makes them heroes in my estimation. If I were president, pardoning all of them would be one of my first acts in office. 

And you just said that if the people on Jan 6th where traitors they would be charges as such, by your own standards Snowden and the other people you mentioned are not heroes, they are traitors and what you regard their behavior as doesn't matter. We regard the Jan 6th people as traitors and "I was tricked into trying to tools my country" isn't a very good excuse. 

We are arguing the definition and you're arguing what human beings are choosing to do. They are choosing to let these people off easy. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

My issue is this was a near too perfect reason to extent more authoritarianism upon us. I'll leave it at that here.

So let me get this straight: the goofball twittering president that these people supported for 4 years and excused every mistake he made threw a weird demonstration that lead to a riot during which the Capitol was stormed to stop the election.

All of this happened in order that the people who thought Trump was fighting the deep state would then be put on watch lists by the FBI and every other government agency. And these super savvy people somehow didn't know about this plan to set them up so the government could get more power even though supposedly Trump was handling everything?

Alright, alright...So at which point of all these idiots take a moment to pause, reflect that they all apparently fell for the world's greatest honeypot and start condemning Trump? 

This is why this isn't about politics. There are clearly some massive fucking idiots out there. For all the Rachel Maddow nonsense, goddamn if a certain group of morons ended up being more gullible than the CNN viewership.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Again, if this is treason, why is no on being charged with treason?

What? You can kill people without it being murder. Hell there are different crimes all with different burdens of proof and the case load is massive. A whole lot of prosecutors  could very well have decided to charge lesser crimes for the sake of speeding shit up.

That doesn't mean that every person that went in did so entirely to overturn an election. How you go about tossing elections is up to you. But when a horde comes to do it, the people that are fine would normally see that as an attack on the government and by extension the people.

Trying to stop an election from being finished like they did is a fairly white and black situation. The problem isn't any gray there. It is entirely in the gray matter of the people who defend it. It'd take some honesty and introspection to admit you got fooled. I've gotten fooled plenty by all sorts of dumb shit. Take the L and move on.

But it isnt about what happened. Its about what happened. Its about how people's opinion of it reflects on themselves to others. Same with a lot of politics. People aren't trying to much other than use politics as a means to deal with some weird personal problem projected on politics or work out some psychological issue.

None of the people who were instigate provided proof. Since they didn't. There's nothing about the whole of Jan 6 that needs defending. Until there's some good ass evidence, Ashton Kutcher might as well come out and tell them he filmed the greatest episode of Punk'd by convincing a group of random people to commit terrorism.

34 minutes ago, Sonero said:

So let me get this straight: the goofball twittering president that these people supported for 4 years and excused every mistake he made threw a weird demonstration that lead to a riot during which the Capitol was stormed to stop the election.

All of this happened in order that the people who thought Trump was fighting the deep state would then be put on watch lists by the FBI and every other government agency. And these super savvy people somehow didn't know about this plan to set them up so the government could get more power even though supposedly Trump was handling everything?

while it's but once faucet, 4chan has fooled many into a variety of things and you know that. People make REALLY bad choice when they're mad, scared, stressed beyond a certain point. If anything, to an establishment who feared what an unhinged cannot be controlled POTUS is capable of, it was way too easy to move the needle. 

39 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Alright, alright...So at which point of all these idiots take a moment to pause, reflect that they all apparently fell for the world's greatest honeypot and start condemning Trump? 

They don't BECAUSE they're idiots. 

trump-monitoring-the-situation-comic.png

Found a new subreddit that has potential. byebyejob. It's about people doing or saying something publicly that could cost them their job and then quitting/getting fired. Right now, it's varied, but has quite a bit of vaccine mandate content. Mandate content is going to pick up a lot later on, I suspect.

https://www.reddit.com/r/byebyejob/

Edited by axeman61
1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

They don't BECAUSE they're idiots. 

Right. Now go look back at people trying to rebrand going into the Capitol to halt, and overturn the results of an election.

People are happy to "call it how they see it" until they it doesn't suit them. Hence Ashley Babbit is suddenly a martyr as opposed to a super duper Kool aid drinker and the people defending her dumb ass are suddenly fighting the narrative. 

Top 10 Reasons why Decepticons are the black people of Transformers

1) Favorite color is purple

2) They consume artificial pink DRANK.

3) The relationship between Megatron and Starscream is that of a pimp and his ho (Does Megatron have to choke a bitch?)

4) Megatron has a BBC (Big Black Cannon)

5) Soundwave is a pimp without even trying

6) Blitzwing held a football coach captive and used the power of DAT MADDEN to try to overthrow Megatron and defeat the Autobots.

7) Swindle's haggling skills are equal to Kevin Hart's in "40 Year Old Virgin"

8. In the movie, Scavenger basically says "FUCK DA POLICE" with his actions.

9. In Season 3, they relocate to Charr, the Detroit of the galaxy (I thought it was a smudge on the screen. Yeah that fits their description of Charr alright)

10.  Skywarp does the DAT ASS pose in the first episode.

3 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Found a new subreddit that has potential. byebyejob. It's about people doing or saying something publicly that could cost them their job and then quitting/getting fired. Right now, it's varied, but has quite a bit of vaccine mandate content. Mandate content is going to pick up a lot later on, I suspect.

Reddit has convinced me that there are a lot more insufferable people out there than I ever truly believed there were. 

4 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Yeah...there's definitely some dumb stuff in here

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-middle-school-removed-history-143236030.html

I finally signed up with reddit some months ago, mostly because forums are pretty much dead everywhere else on the net.... this place is one of the few exceptions.  

I forgot which one was the first forum I posted on regularly... it was either videogamereview.com's forums... or this place called "ottr" which was "Off the Top Rope", a forum for wrestling fans... way back when I cared about watching wrestling on a regular basis (*this was back in the Stone Cold/DX/The Rock era.)... I was back and forth between those 2 as my regular spots since around the late 90s, back when we had "Monday Night Raw" competing against WCW's Monday night show...and "VGR" had fans of all systems and various games on there.

On another note entirely---watching a podcast at the moment and a female host called one of the guys on the panel "so sweet"...that's always been the kiss of death, imo... so much so that I wonder if there's ever been a time in recent history, at least in American society, where that "compliment" from a girl or woman was actually a good thing?  I don't think so 🤣  Those are the familiar signposts leading down FriendZone Avenue just about 99% of the time....it's never a good situation.

Edited by MillionX

I use reddit from time to time just because the absolute gold mine of content that is to be found there.  ScottishPeopleTwitter and fatpeoplehate (RIP) were some of the most fun I had on the internet but I still really dislike the interface.  

Edited by J-ride

That dude with the "muscly" face that was always the bad guy in late 80s/early 90s action movies.... I figured back then that he had a good "look" to be Apocalypse.... too bad the talent doesn't appear to be there though... when anyone thinks of him, they just think "90s-era 1-dimensional bad guy in an action movie".  The main role I remember him for was as the leader of that gang in the Stallone movie "Cobra".  Ah I see... yeah he was also Shao Kahn that one time... Brian Thompson:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0859921/

Rutger Hauer would have been an awesome Magneto.  He had that perfect balance of cunning charisma and malevolence to pull it off.  To be honest, in the comics I always found Magneto to be the villian I most empathized with and understood.  He always seemed to have good intentions but questionable methods and was a better villain that the typical TEEHEEE I LIKE EVIL comic antagonists of the time.  Especially once he founded Genosha and wanted to be left alone, most of his extreme punishments against the humans were retaliatory.

11 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

I can't stand Reddit's layout. Terrible. 

Reddit is the most bare bones, lazy, badly put together site out there that it's almosta shame there's so much decent info there. Say what you want about Facebook, but at least they put time and effort into making it a good experience. Reddit is like, "Eh, were a multimillion dollar social media company, and our site sucks and is awful to use on the platform most people now browse it from, but at least it's better than a geocities site. No more work needed here." 

Edited by DoctaMario

i hate reddit. for various reasons.

but one annoying thing is the bots that correct your speech.

i once wrote water is wet fire is hot and a mod bot kicked in and "corrected" my speech by posting that water isnt actually wet and then scientifically explained why which made me wanna kick my pc for someone daring to program a bot that hates context. 

breaking-computer.gif

man goddamn... will that solo guitar part in the middle of "Sweet Child of Mine" ever stop kicking ass?  I think not.  I could listen to this shit for the rest of time and continue loving each time I hear it....and going right into the "...where do we go?  where do we go, now?" part right after that....  That shit hits your soul, man...

netflix antonio GIF

edit--whoah this is at 1.3 billion views

Edited by MillionX

Any SRK'ers into crypto/NFT stuff? If you are into CCG ie Hearthstone/Magic the Gathering, Gods Unchained finally released their GODS token(current price traded $4-6 bucks) last week. They have an 8-week tourny where you earn free GODS token on weekly basis. Just need a metamask wallet.

More info:

https://godsunchained.com/token/claim

This shits legit; they finally got Market up and running in Immutable X platform(layer 2). New ppl can't mint cards atm but it is coming. I been playing since this past summer casually(an hour max daily) and I just posted some cards for sale the other day and I already earned a whooping $5 worth of ETH.

32 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Reddit is pretty bad, but at least there's a ton useful information there you can find with google. 

I find Amazon way more annoying- a tech company with all the money in the world, and their online store is like something out of Y2K.

I think the audible book store is the worst offense.  I can't think of a single site that I use with a worse interface.

The internet is a weird place. Everyone shits on reddit and social media, and there's also a ton of right wing talking points usually thrown about and people bragging that they're rich old white men, but the statistics show the majority of internet users and adults use reddit and social media and aren't in fact old rich white dudes.

I also think reddit sucks, and I go further and don't have a facebook and haven't for several years now, but that makes me more an outlier than anything else. Usually the same people saying reddit sucks and social media sucks and how everyone should get off those things consider someone weird for not being on those things.

Reddit if you just use it for news is a good resource. Just don't post on it, unless you need to ask a question, but don't generally expect a good answer (you have to filter through several moronic answers if you even get a response). I use it mostly for the NBA, PC hardware, and games that I may like or am looking forward to.

1 hour ago, Serpent said:

Reddit if you just use it for news is a good resource.

I don't know about that.

Reddit gives you popular headlines, but it's heavily skewed towards what the demographic of Reddit (white,  middle-class males) are interested in.  If you really want to know what's going on in the world I'd suggest Reuters or AP instead.  Both of their websites and apps are free.

In fact Reuters dropped this really sick in-depth article just the other day:

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/taiwan-china-wargames/

4 hours ago, Sonero said:

Y'all realize that Reddit is just 4chan for "normies", right?

You could rename the site to "I can't believe its not 4chan" and it'd amount to the same thing.

Yeah and? 4chan while also simple is at least easy to understand. That and i have been browsing the site since the start so i perhaps am biased. Even before signing up for SRK. It's been fascinating to see how far memes have come since...at least to me. 

Edited by TheInfernoman

Today in small town hilarity. I'm on the south side of Boston... Basically the side Ben Affleck pretends he's from in every movie. Me and another are shooting the shit tellin horror stories and tips and he goes I'm a movie star. I'm like what? He's like I'm in films.. Mind you has the most Boston accent. He tells me he's in gone baby gone as a character with 1 line. I had to really hard hold back my laugh. But I bet it works at the bars on girls. 

14 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Today in small town hilarity. I'm on the south side of Boston... Basically the side Ben Affleck pretends he's from in every movie. Me and another are shooting the shit tellin horror stories and tips and he goes I'm a movie star. I'm like what? He's like I'm in films.. Mind you has the most Boston accent. He tells me he's in gone baby gone as a character with 1 line. I had to really hard hold back my laugh. But I bet it works at the bars on girls. 

I totally believe this is a real guy... I went to New England from Canada in February and Boston bros really are built like that and everyone just goes with it...