Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Really getting back into DOOM Eternal. I forgot how insane and long some of these levels actually are. Cultist Base is a fucking gauntlet of blood and sinew. 

I'm way more rusty than I thought I'd be. I haven't gotten a game over yet but I'm definitely struggling more on Normal than I would have a few months ago. I might do another UV run before going for Nightmare. 

@Mattatsu, can you share what you find to be the most notable upgrades? Be as detailed as you like, I'd love to hear what you think are the best weapon mods, suit perks and runes. Some stuff seems obvious to me, like the Sniper mod of the sticky bomb mod, or the air control rune. I feel like I could optimize better tho.

Still getting utterly wrecked in multiplayer. Doesn't matter which side I play, the other guys always seem to win. When I'm a demon, Doomslayer seems OP as fuck as he glides around the map effortlessly and gibs me in 2 or 3 shots. When I play Slayer, I get completley overwhelmed in seconds of approaching the demons. 😒

Edited by M A R T I A N

@M A R T I A N, it kinda depends on your playstyle tbh. I hardly use the sniper mod (though i am using it more now). One thing i do (which may be too late for this run), is I skip the second weapon mod on Hell On Earth (right after leaving the Barge) and come back to it at the end of the level via Fast Travel so i can leave that level with both the precision mod and micro missile mod. Micro missiles is great at taking down hell knights in the early game after landing a couple stickies on them.

For my UN (practice) runs, i skip all of the Slayer gates and some of the harder Secret Encounters , so that effects some of the points i get, but I don’t spend any weapon points until I get the Rocket Launcher Lock-on burst mod on Cultist base, and i max it out right away. I upgrade the SSG with fast reload as soon as I get it (6 points), and then the fast meathook after the last arena on Cultist Base. In the first big arena in doom hunter Base, i keep the second revenant alive (after killing the first revenant and the second pinky), but i disarm it and run around meathooking fodder to get the SSG mastery (which is very helpful). Once i get it, i kill that revenant and then deal with the next wave that comes in, which is bit harder, but now I have some extra means of getting armor. I actually don't master the lock on burst because i actually don't want it splitting its targetting across mutliple enemies - it’s really helpful to quickly kill (or fuck up) whiplashes, hell/dread knights, mancubi, and arachnotrons. The other upgrades I definitely want mastery on are Mobile Turret (great against barons of hell and the IOS), Ballista’s Arbalest (great against multiple Cacodemons, pain elementals, and the Sightless Judge on Nekravol 1), Heavy Cannon’s Micro Missiles (great against the Kahn Maykr), and Plasma Rifle’s Heat Blast (I love the PR against shielded soldiers or carcasses, and the heat blast is helpful in a pinch, so the damage buff after is nice, if you use it a lot, but it’s not as needed (to me) as the ones i already mentioned).

my runes in order is Air Control, Blood Fueled, Equipment Fiend.

For sentinel crystals, i prioritize armor in any bonus that has it because it can be real plentiful with flame belch and mastered SSG so i want to be able to collect as much of it as i can get (its a life saver). I start with the Quick Belch bonus, then bottom left (cant remember what its called but it gives you more armor per enemy, but i do start this with the ammo capacity upgrade), then Loot Magnet, Armor Punch, Health Punch, then Napalm Belch (i get the ammo capacity upgrade in this bonus last as it refills your BFG ammo and i have plotted out when and where i use my BFG and crucible, and this lets me use a few extra BFG shots on Taras Nabad and Nekravol 1 , while refilling the BFG nicely on Nekravol 2).

my first praetor upgrade goes to Environmental: thicker skin (is helpful on Cultist Base on UN where an explosive barrel can nearly end your run), then I focus on Fundamental upgrades Grappler, Weapon Swapper, and Faster Dasher. Then doing the Ice Bomb, starting at the 5 pointer and working my way down. Then I get the double frags for 5 points, then get the Glory Kill dash refill in Fundamental (I’d get this earlier, but Blood Fueled makes it a bit redundant), and then do the rest of the frag upgrades, the rest of the environmental (starting with the toxin one, which you should be able to get on Taras Nabad or earlier if you do more mission challenges than i usually bother with), and then whatever of the map stuff you want, but i never really use any of them.

also, if you don’t have it down yet. Master quick-swapping, where you fire one weapon and immediately swap to another to cancel the reload animation. You can tell you’re during it right if you can Ballista+SSG+Ballista the Marauder in one falter. Also, with this in mind, before i master the plasma rifle, the the cool down after a heat blast is killer, so I always swap to another weapon right after blasting the secondary fire.

then, just generally, keep moving, jumping, and dashing; don’t forget about your equipment (flame belch, frags, and ice bomb); and remember that fodder are just moving resources for armor, ammo, and health that can hurt you if you let them, but your bigger prioritizes are usually the heavier enemies. Also, a lot of arenas happen in waves triggered by killing heavies, so don't always feel like you have to rush to kill heavies. Sometimes, knocking the turret off an arachnotron, or guns off a mancubus and keeping them alive, while you run around and replenish your resources against fodder is a life saver that ensures you’re more prepared for the next wave.

Edited by Mattatsu

haha, that thumbnail pic on the PS5 video gets a laugh out of me just about every time... that dude is a bit frail compared to most but still... the console looks like it is about the size of that guy's entire torso 😄

playing ESO lately has me tempted to go back into Skyrim yet again... as a fantasy world that happens to include vamps and werewolves; I love that world that much more as a result.  The thing that always turns me right back off from playing though is when I remember just how raggedy the game is from a technical standpoint.  In Diablo, Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon's Dogma (the Legendary Trinity of RPG greatness for me), I've never had to worry about "will this crash once I exit the area?"... and in D3's case, I've played that game since release, which was 8 years ago....and I vaguely recall it crashing ONCE or twice in all that time....well over 1000 hours (probably close to 2k) total playtime across multiple versions of the game.  I really wish Skyrim was even half-way close to being that solid.  

On another note---check out this awesome looking armor in MHW:

So after reading this, https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/journalist-says-xbox-series-x-can-get-hot-like-a-fireplace/amp/

And going back though and checking their sources out, I came to two conclusions.

1. So many "facts" are misrepresented or flat out taken out of context.

2. Most game journalists are casuals who never gamed on a modern gaming PC and don't understand basic highschool physics.

Yes there suposed to be heat blowing out, that's how cooling works. You can't "Create" cold, only move heat from one place to another. And 2 (and those who knows me know I hate Xbox). The Series X isn't going to get so hot as to burn your hand, if it did you would see plastic melting. 

Edited by DarkSakul

oh yeah, I forgot to specify like I usually do---this was Skyrim on XB1 with no mods.... yeah I am one of probably 5 people in the entire fanbase that chose to play it the "regular" plain way... mainly because I'm a bit of an achievement ho. 😄  I wanted to get a lot of those racked up before delving into whatever mods were out.  In the pre-special edition days, I hear it was a far worse experience on the PS3 though....good thing I only dealt with the 360 and later XB1 versions, in terms of console.  I have it on Switch as well but haven't played it much on there.  

It's such a strong love/hate relationship with this game though... I still look back on it as one of the greatest of all time for me; at the time it was way more open than anything else... and of course no other rpg world was also giving me the option to be a vamp or werewolf (since barely anyone in the industry has an imagination, apparently; no ability to slightly think outside the normal parameters of what certain genres are "supposed" to be.).

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

I hear it was a far worse experience on the PS3 though

Oh yeah the PS3 version early on has this weird bug with the autosave, the longer you play the bigger the save file got which dragged everything down. And it was only the PS3 version too. Something about someone forgetting a single clear cache function because that programming call is completely different in the PS3 compared to the same call in Xbox/windows. And due to how massive the game is the issue didn't pop up in play tests. 

I said this in the street fighter thread, but Boon is a better man than me adding Mileena. Dude can’t even type “RIP” for someone deceased on Twitter without her fans asking for her. I would’ve cocked blocked her inclusion in a game as long as possible just to spite them.

Adding her now feels like seeing the spoiled kid get their way after throwing a temper tantrum in public. 

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Started Bloodborne last night and anytime I play a fromsoftware game, I gotta struggle for a couple hours wrapping my head around the controls. 

They're kinda bad lol. The button mapping is wack and I personally think half the reason I think those games are hard. 

You probably haven't played them long enough. I struggled alot with bloodborne the first time too and I hated the controls I thought the controls were more suited to shooters rather than action games. I got used to it now, I played dark souls 3 the other day and it was a breeze. 

Edited by rukawa_kaede
2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Started Bloodborne last night and anytime I play a fromsoftware game, I gotta struggle for a couple hours wrapping my head around the controls. 

They're kinda bad lol. The button mapping is wack and I personally think half the reason I think those games are hard.

The only Fromsoftware game I've played is Sekiro, and i thought the button mapping was wonky at first, too.  It allowed you to customize it, but I ended up sticking with default and got used to it.  When i did, I actually appreciated how it was laid out.

I'm looking forward to playing Bloodborne for the first time next month when I get my PS5.  It's included in the list of 18 free PS4 games you can download at launch.  I've heard the load times are a pain in the ass so I'm hoping the SSD fixes that.

42 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

The only Fromsoftware game I've played is Sekiro, and i thought the button mapping was wonky at first, too.  It allowed you to customize it, but I ended up sticking with default and got used to it.  When i did, I actually appreciated how it was laid out.

I'm looking forward to playing Bloodborne for the first time next month when I get my PS5.  It's included in the list of 18 free PS4 games you can download at launch.  I've heard the load times are a pain in the ass so I'm hoping the SSD fixes that.

Dont die and ou wont have to deal with the load times...

I mean you do because for some reason FS has decided making you warp back to the hub to level up is a good idea when they solved this porblem in Dark Souls 1 by letting you level up at Bonfires, not sure why you cant level up at a lamp, but people like the Maidens so i guess that explains it. 

59 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

You probably haven't played them long enough

Play through about half of DS1, this is my third time going through Bloodborne. I play it again every october. Outside of that, i don't mess with FS games at all. 

By the end of my session, everything was coming back, but the first 20-30 minutes was really, really rough 

Sometimes it just takes a bit for the muscle memory to kick back in. I know I get that whenever I come back to a game after awhile. Hell I flub up my buttons in FF14 when I haven't played a job in a week.

BB is one of those games I've always really wanted to revisit but never have. Its my favorite FS game overall but I'm not sure if I could make it through the load times again.

Sword of the Necromancer launches in December for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC, later for PS5 and Xbox Series

A demo of the game is currently available for PC via Steam

Key Features

1. Turn Your Foes Into Allies – Use the Sword of the Necromancer to revive defeated monsters and make them fight alongside you.
  2. Gather Weapons and Relics – Each weapon is different from the others thanks to the procedural weapon generation system, which gives them various effects and attributes.
  3. Fight With All Your Might – Defeat your enemies using a variety of weapons and objects and dominating the fluid head-to-head battle system.
  4. Level Up – Enhance your character by fighting enemies and upgrade your stats. Improve your summoned monsters by fighting alongside them.
  5. Death is Not the End – Each try gets you closer to the Necromancer. You will lose all your equipped weapons and monsters, but you will retain half the level you achieved in your run. Also, you can choose to exit the dungeon at some moments, losing all your level progress but maintaining all your equipment.
  6. Learn the Truth – Discover Tama and Koko’s past as you advance through the dungeon.
  7. Local Cooperative Play – Use the Flask of Homunculus to create a copy of the playable character and play with a friend in local co-op game.

Music sounds nice.

Edited by AriesWarlock

Outriders delayed to February 2, 2021

Cross-play and cross-generation multiplayer confirmed.

About

Outriders is a one to three-player co-op RPG shooter set in an original, dark and desperate sci-fi universe.

As mankind bleeds out in the trenches of Enoch, you’ll create your own Outrider and embark on a journey across the hostile planet.

With rich storytelling spanning a diverse world, you’ll leave behind the slums and shanty towns of the First City and traverse forests, mountains and desert in the pursuit of a mysterious signal.

Combining intense gunplay with violent powers and an arsenal of increasingly twisted weaponry and gear-sets, Outriders offers countless hours of gameplay from one of the finest shooter developers in the industry—People Can Fly.

Key Features

• Intensity of a Shooter, Depth of an RPG – Outriders‘ brutal and bloody combat combines frenetic gunplay, violent powers and deep RPG systems to create a true genre hybrid.
  • A Dark and Desperate Journey – Discover the hostile planet of Enoch as you embark on a journey to the source of a mysterious signal.
  • Dynamic One to Three-Player Co-Op – Play single-player or join up to two friends in drop-in drop-out co-op as you tackle the horrors of a hyper-evolved planet.
  • Four Unique Classes – Create and customize your own Outrider and choose from four unique classes each with its own skill tree to define your own playstyle.
  • Scavenge and Adapt – Customize and upgrade your Outrider with countless items of mod-able guns and gear, as you leave humanity behind.

Prime day is next week...

Anyone know what's gonna be on sale? 

I honestly don't know why I'm asking. Between P5, Super Mario 3D all-stars, Bloodborne, and the occasional FG/THPS, I don't really need a new game. 

that being said, if RE7 goes on sale, I'm picking that shit up. I was honestly hoping that it or Alien:Isolation were going to be the PS+ game this month