Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 2.0

So, doing a random quiz on bing (those delicious reward points)... and I'm just now finding out there's a dude with the stage name "Bad Bunny".  C'mon, bruh... of all the lame ass shit to use as a stage name in the entertainment business... what in the hell is that?  Just from the name I was already thinking that was probably some young girl that's destined to be a 1-hit wonder, getting 15 minutes of fame primarily because she's probably cute.  It also sounds like the name of a (female) stripper.  As Sgt. Hartman from Full Metal Jacket would say---"WHAT is this Mickey Mouse shit?!"

random History channel stuff---they had a show on about John Wilkes Booth early this morning; unfortunately I only caught the end of that... hopefully they will repeat it.  It was interesting to see History channel actually living up to its name and the original theme of the network for a change.  At the end there was a segment on what happened to the others involved; they had actual pictures from the day those people were hanged.... one of the more hardcore forms of execution, I'd say....because it's not exactly a quick death unless the neck snaps when you drop down, I guess?  Sheeeittt, history is a lot more interesting on tv or a movie/documentary form instead of hearing about it from an extremely boring lecture in school.  Booth's last moments were a hellish experience too...he was shot in the neck.  The bullet also fucked his spinal cord up in that area, so he was immediately paralyzed from the neck down, apparently.  He laid there in pain for some hours until he died saying he did it for his country.

https://www.history.com/news/john-wilkes-booth-death-barn

Edited by MillionX

I thought this movie peppermint was gonna be another C grade netflix turd but it was actually okay.  Got to see Jennifer Garner go ham even though she about to hit 50.   She was totally rocking a Roberta from black lagoon vibe and had a serious body count in this flick.    Didn't even know about this flick when it came out but for some reason it is trending on netflix.   Probably because all the bad guys are pretty much mexican?   I think they could have did better to add some gore since it was going the whole mindless action route.   Like let me see some brains get smashed or something.      Like if you are gonna set it up for her to drop some heavy shit on a dude that just so happened to perfectly walk under the spot where she can drop it on his head at least give us the gorey pay off for that improbable bullshit XD

People might have issues with Preppy but he's been invaluable in updating the SRK wiki.

Also (edit): I don't know for sure what's happening with the rest of SRK (although I'm -almost certain- the forum is going to move to different software), but the wiki is going to be focusing on Capcom, Tekken, (old) SNK and MK going forward. Some niche fighters like Karnov's will remain, but a lot of abandonware games are going to be deleted from SRK, especially ones that have better resources (Dreamcancel, Dustloop, Mizuumi).

Edited by Scanman
8 hours ago, Scanman said:

People might have issues with Preppy but he's been invaluable in updating the SRK wiki.

Preppy created the issues with Preppy. He could've been doing all that stuff to help with the wiki years ago. You know what he did instead? Try and micromanage the hell out of one thread in GD.

Guy is a programmer and is friends with all the people who use to run SRK. He was doing a lot to improve DRK but he just had to get into pointless arguments in one thread.

Im haoly things are working out for you, but never forget that he used my mom's terminal cancer in a flippant way, then refused to acknowledge he did anything wrong in private and then lied about the whole thing in public.

He showed his character. Having the ability do stuff you like wont magically make him a better person.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Guy is a programmer and is friends with all the people who use to run SRK. He was doing a lot to improve SRK but he just had to get into pointless arguments in one thread.

He showed his character. Having the ability to do stuff you like wont magically make him a better person.

Oh no doubt. It's impossible to defend his actions from that PM.

However, if he sticks to his lane with the wiki (which he seems suited for, it's a relatively low amount of work on the backend), and it's better as a result, I can't knock that. This guy Shiburizu (who also owns Mizuumi wiki, btw) has also been a huge help.

I'm passionate about this because I f'ing hate digging through twitter/discord (I don't even try on reddit) looking for info. People in the fgc are absolutely insane if they think those are reasonable replacements for wikis.

There are other problems, like some info just not being recorded, but it's still better than chasing blindly through the net looking for stuff.

I was actually testing this today. I was looking for Silver Samurai info (admittedly a pretty irrelevant competitive character), and there's a bit on SRK. If you look on youtube, there's a very very small amount of stuff, usually some 15 second combo clips. For a game that's 20 years old, that's pretty bad. Literally probably the best source of info for SS is.... gamefaqs. Not sure where I'm going with this rant actually.

1 hour ago, Scanman said:

But it wasn't just that. he did the PM stuff, then he kept going with the second PM, then he convinced d3v that he was the one who was the victim, then he went on SRK and publicly lied about everything, accepted basically no fault in the whole situation (because at no point did he say I should get unbanned and reinstated as a mod).

Then d3v he spoke to d3v and convinced him to "ban" his account temporarily because he needed a break all the while pretending to be the victim. d3v continued on his path of stupid which culminates in making two mods that live to pretend nothing happened. This continues on by d3v deleting the thread that had all the receipts of his misdeeds. So the whole thing isn't just the PMs. Those two imploded what was left of the community so attempt to hide what they did.

Basically all that for a video game underwater basket weaving forum. You're gonna keep having that opinion of the guy because he is gonna leverage being able to do technical things as evidence that he isn't that wack. He won't actually fix the issue, which is what he and d3v did, he'll pretend that didn't happen and continue on.

Its even funnier when you consider all the serious stuff that's happened this year. If a little bit of authority and offering of help and power can make people look the other eye on a clean cut situation with the lowest stakes imaginable, people should have zero hope about what happens when money and real life consequences are on the line.  Why do people wild out as cops and other things? Because people can't even act right in simple situations.

2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

If you keep kosher, this is an actual problem tho. 

My thing is there are many kosher and halal markets in the area. Despite while foods being bougie esque they are not kosher

I mean i get it from that view. But whole foods is not going to be a Goldstein's 

I have said numerous times that i have had horrible interactions with white racists growing up.

I will complain about people no matter the race.

Especially fucking asian people and their snobby attitudes and colorism. 

But hey if you are okay with prissy white people calling japanese people nazis for asking people to mask up have at it 

Dogs and baby been keeping me up late. Just finished christmas decorations last night

I feel like shit 

Edited by DrLariat
14 minutes ago, DrLariat said:

But hey if you are okay with prissy white people calling japanese people nazis for asking people to mask up have at it

I don’t think you’re directing this at me, but I’m not lol. And I thought the lady that was complaining bout the meat and cheese was black. 

It doesn’t matter tho. I agree with you, if a business or service isn’t doing something to your liking, go somewhere else that does it the way you like. 

I was just making the point that meat and cheese touching is a no-no, cause I wanted to be and asshole and show how smart I was whilst pushing my glasses up. 

8 hours ago, misterBee said:

The site has been dead for a long time and the owner isn't even that involved with the scene anymore.  Makes sense that they don't want to keep it going.

This is insane. Tekken is having a revival and is currently the most popular fighting game. That's so crazy to hear it's a dead site. 

Damn when tekken wasn't even popular It was so poppin in the 2000s. I guess everyone really has migrated to discord and twitch for info 

29 minutes ago, Sonero said:

MK11 netcode is actually good too. It isn't like there are teleporting and sped up nonsense messing up meaties and other things.

so what's his excuse for losing? :coffee:

He's saying the dudes spamming but says it as mashing. Then he gets launched off a shitty jump and is blaming the other dude for his mistakes 

I know what he said. But dealing with mashy stuff and people testing your reactions under a good netcode is different than under w/e kalliera nonsense SF5 has going on. 

Dudes are mad sus with 5 though. They dont post footage from the actual game, they'll go to the game replay SF5 saves and use that instead. That way it always looks like they beat people under perfect consitions.

The fraudulence. 😂

4 hours ago, Scanman said:

However, if he sticks to his lane with the wiki (which he seems suited for, it's a relatively low amount of work on the backend), and it's better as a result, I can't knock that. This guy Shiburizu (who also owns Mizuumi wiki, btw) has also been a huge help.

I'm passionate about this because I f'ing hate digging through twitter/discord (I don't even try on reddit) looking for info. People in the fgc are absolutely insane if they think those are reasonable replacements for wikis.

There are other problems, like some info just not being recorded, but it's still better than chasing blindly through the net looking for stuff.

I was actually testing this today. I was looking for Silver Samurai info (admittedly a pretty irrelevant competitive character), and there's a bit on SRK. If you look on youtube, there's a very very small amount of stuff, usually some 15 second combo clips. For a game that's 20 years old, that's pretty bad. Literally probably the best source of info for SS is.... gamefaqs. Not sure where I'm going with this rant actually.

When I first started playing SamshoVSp, it seemed like there was next to no info besides an faq on gamefaqs, a tier list allegedly made by "japanese players," and some mizuumi info and a couple write-ups that one guy had done years ago. We wound up digging for a lot and found that one guy had actually assembled video playlists on youtube of obscure match videos for everyone in the game and writing down a lot of things that some of the older players had learned and would tell us. It was actually really exciting in the way I imagine an archaeological dig would be and it inspired me to make content for the game so people wouldn't have to learn everything the hard way. I miss those days. 

It was kinda the same way with MTG. You could dig far and wide for stuff and end up finding real tech. Now everything is released so fast it kinda sucks.

I know people complain about the speed at which FGs get "figured out" because of sharing stuff on twitter and youtube. But you can literally sewrch thousands of tournament results with decklists out in various websites. Only way you end up uninformed is if thats how you want to live.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

When I first started playing SamshoVSp, it seemed like there was next to no info besides an faq on gamefaqs, a tier list allegedly made by "japanese players," and some mizuumi info and a couple write-ups that one guy had done years ago. We wound up digging for a lot and found that one guy had actually assembled video playlists on youtube of obscure match videos for everyone in the game and writing down a lot of things that some of the older players had learned and would tell us. It was actually really exciting in the way I imagine an archaeological dig would be and it inspired me to make content for the game so people wouldn't have to learn everything the hard way. I miss those days. 

Shit like this is why is miss DarkGeese, Nocturne, Josh the Funk Doc and other SNK heads. 

they were a well of knowledge of SNK titles. 
the only time geese was insufferable was when he’d talk about Mexican players being so dominant despite tournament results showing the opposite. 

geese was kinda grimy though. At major’s he’d attend he’d lie to all the Japanese and Korean players about when the snk tournaments started so he wouldn’t have to play them. 

Edited by iStu X
15 minutes ago, iStu X said:

geese was kinda grimy though. At major’s he’d attend he’d lie to all the Japanese and Korean players about when the snk tournaments started so he wouldn’t have to play them. 

😂 That's funny, messed up, but funny. Reminds me of that story I think you told about some mvc2 player sending another players girl a picture of said player and another chick so he missed the tourney altogether because he was fighting with his gf. You could say that truly is Playing To Win lol! 

But SNK games aren't like Tekken or SF, especially the older ones. There isn't an easily accessible well of info available for all of them and in a way it's fun to go into a game knowing there's probably stuff no one's figured out yet. 

3 hours ago, KingTubb said:

I don’t think you’re directing this at me, but I’m not lol. And I thought the lady that was complaining bout the meat and cheese was black. 

It doesn’t matter tho. I agree with you, if a business or service isn’t doing something to your liking, go somewhere else that does it the way you like. 

I was just making the point that meat and cheese touching is a no-no, cause I wanted to be and asshole and show how smart I was whilst pushing my glasses up. 

You know it was not directed at you just those flaccid members of the board

Just to be clear. I like you

People hated throwing tech in sf2 and when you had infinities with akuma in xmvssf you had people angry

Info pisses people off

When people say fighting games are dead they mean capcom fighting games.

DBFZ, tekken, and mk have thriving scenes with sfv and kof14 bringing up the rear.

Seriously

Edited by DrLariat
23 minutes ago, Sonero said:

It was kinda the same way with MTG. You could dig far and wide for stuff and end up finding real tech. Now everything is released so fast it kinda sucks.

I know people complain about the speed at which FGs get "figured out" because of sharing stuff on twitter and youtube. But you can literally sewrch thousands of tournament results with decklists out in various websites. Only way you end up uninformed is if thats how you want to live.

I don't get anyone who complains about figuring out a game quickly and developing strategies. In the age of patches/updates, today's top tier tricks can be tomorrow's nerf. I know MTG doesn't have patches...but they kinda do when a new set drops and peeps try to update older strats or find new broken things. 

29 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

I don't get anyone who complains about figuring out a game quickly and developing strategies. In the age of patches/updates, today's top tier tricks can be tomorrow's nerf. I know MTG doesn't have patches...but they kinda do when a new set drops and peeps try to update older strats or find new broken things. 

Imo patches are why I don't see the point in putting in a bunch of time in modern games. It's hard enough to learn everything you need to learn to be good at a fighting game without things changing every couple months. I know its an old man complaint but I'd rather wait till the ultimate edition or try to learn older games for that reason. 

13 minutes ago, Reticently said:

My 3 year old son my be a damned genius-

He's got a spoonful of Nutella he's dipping into a bowl of dry Cap'n Crunch.

My one year old all about the strawberry gerber cereal snacks and those nummy crackers 

Thems is delish.

Tekken has been carrying the scene for decades  just putting them aside makes no sense. I mean so has soul calibur. But i guess...

Edited by DrLariat
45 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

If Capcom fighting games are dead, so is the scene. 

MK is crap, DB is opps all Goku, that leaves Tekken, and Tekken alone can't carry the FGC. 

this is such a fucking stupid post and I have a feeling you know it but you’re just wanting to rustle jimmies. 

either way: 

Every NRS games have been consistent in quality and community since MK9, imo. Their community brought back MK from life support. 

The oops all goku meme for dbfz is honestly super annoying. Out of a roster of soon to be released 43 characters there’s only 5 different Zenkai’s of Goku (I don’t really count goku black) and they all play significantly different from each other. And iirc the only Goku that’s ever been tops is Kid Goku (GT) 

Tekken 7 since being released in console has been gang busters and it was exactly what the community needed after 6: Bob and Lars and 5 DR. Oh, there was Tag 2 but it fizzled almost instantaneously with its release. 

quantity doesn’t mean quality. I mean ffs don’t you play warhammer? 

Edited by iStu X
3 hours ago, Maxx said:

This is insane. Tekken is having a revival and is currently the most popular fighting game. That's so crazy to hear it's a dead site. 

Damn when tekken wasn't even popular It was so poppin in the 2000s. I guess everyone really has migrated to discord and twitch for info 

It's not. Fighting game discussion has moved to Discord, Reddit and twitter. The youngins don't care for forums. 

3 hours ago, Sonero said:

I know what he said. But dealing with mashy stuff and people testing your reactions under a good netcode is different than under w/e kalliera nonsense SF5 has going on. 

Dudes are mad sus with 5 though. They dont post footage from the actual game, they'll go to the game replay SF5 saves and use that instead. That way it always looks like they beat people under perfect consitions.

The fraudulence. 😂

I love scrub quotes so much because they are the most illogical shit ever. I had people leave me hate mail during tt2 when I would just use Steve. You every get ocv'd in tekken tag 😂

heh, it's refreshing to see someone actually *not* back down and apologize for once... John Campea caught a bit of heat for using the old name "Ellen Page" on his video about that topic the other day... he explained things just fine and said he basically wasn't going to apologize for that; because the story is so new... that no one would know who you're talking about if you only use the new name of this person....he used the old name along with the new name.  We've known this person as "Ellen" for around 10 years or so at this point.

Most of the time, people with any level of fame will immediately back down once the slightest bit of pressure is put on them.

Van Helsing show -- up to episode 9 or 10 at this point, on season 1.... still not truly loving it but it's something "new" to watch at the moment.  I'm still holding out hope that the vamps are revealed to be better and more interesting than they currently are... but as it stands now... I think even the vamps from The Strain are *slightly* better, and that's.... pitiful. 

...reminds me--- one positive I could say about the ones from Strain---at least they had a cool, more interesting way of feeding... a much longer tongue the shoots out, piercing the victim, and they drink that way... probably inspired by the design of that mouthpart a mosquito uses to feed.  Also, the "elites" in that show were more of the real deal, and Eichorst (the right hand man of "The Master") was one of the most interesting parts of the show; great villain there.....sheeeeittt, check it:

https://the-strain.fandom.com/wiki/Thomas_Eichhorst

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's not. Fighting game discussion has moved to Discord, Reddit and twitter. The youngins don't care for forums. 

Those are all pretty terrible tho. No one can follow every post on reddit and twitter; and no matter how vigilant the Discord admin, for new games they can't catch -everything-.

7 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

It was actually really exciting in the way I imagine an archaeological dig would be and it inspired me to make content for the game so people wouldn't have to learn everything the hard way. I miss those days. 

I've had to do this for Alpha 2, and I suspect I'll have to do it for MvC2 and CvS2. My goal is for people to not have to do this, as it's quite annoying to filter through scrub talk (P-groove Vega, "my triple shoto team from MvC2 is totally viable bro") from 17 years ago.