Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

29 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

My first responsw to seeing that math is racist post is "What?" but you know I wanna give some things the benefit of the doubt if they can make it make sense....I'm about a 3rd of the way through that now and I'm even more confused.

even asking to show your work is racist!

Edited by AriesWarlock
13 hours ago, Serpent said:

Whatever happened to the AI robots that were going to replace all the essential workers? I remember that was the rage a couple of years ago, with people cackling with glee that said workers would be obsolete and lose their jobs. I almost feel like I'm crazy, it feels like nobody remembers this being a talking point with owners gloating about it. Now suddenly it feels like we're supposed to sympathize with capital not having cheap, desperate labor.

The parts are stuck on a container out at sea.  I'd say it threw a wrench in the plans, but the wrench is stuck out there too.

Edited by Deadly_Raver
1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

Really, math. That's appropriate then. Sure, go ahead. Elucidate please.

A lot of this so far is regurgitated anthropology research but with a shitty bent to claim things are racist. Matter of fact, you can take some of the stuff from that one anthro research and pair it with gripes that actual mathematicians and other math majors have with the way they are forced to teach math, and you get some of this. But to "spice it up" they added the "well we are fighting racism". No the issue is that we have a lot of idiots in education so actually changing stuff around is virtually impossible.

The anthro stuff that they highjacked here focused on having teachers be more active in getting to know the families. They could then use examples from the home in the classroom and real life to have certain lessons make more sense. They are regurgitating really important advice but framing it as somehow fighting years of racism. Whenever you can you should use examples that your students may find either interesting or relevant. Similarly you should get to understand the neighborhood and the culture your students bring into the classroom. Has fuck all to do with racism (as it applies to your job)  and all to do with the environment. Some teachers don't do this and then have a hard time engaging students and connecting with them. Considering that the way you get control of your classroom is by endearing yourself to students and demonstrating that you are somebody they should respect, yeah it'll be shitty disconnected people who end up being terrible and "promoting white racism" w/e the fuck they mean by that nonsense. Either way the stuff is important and applies to msot classroom.

The other part of it is that yes, Math isn't always just getting the right answer. Math as a whole is a tool and learning how to use and manipulate that tool is important. The process of manipulating numbers conceptually is a big one. There's loads of ways and activities you can go about this. Just grinding out 2+2 is one thing, but also that you can use your fingers as a means to get 2+2, using beads etc. Taking a pizza and cutting it into slices is one thing, but then we can get to goofy stuff like that is technically 4 slices added up together, but they are also 1/4 and all together add up to 1. That all seems weird but its important conceptually. Making the class about grinding adding, substracting, multiplying and dividing only can get in the way of that. The stuff involving the new Core curriculum stuff that people lost their shit over at times was involving trying to get kids to learn that.

For example, you have 25 + 17. easy peasy its 42. But you can also teach your kids to 3 from the 5, make an even 20 and do 22 +20. Yeah that's extra steps, but its also teaching them to break apart and manipulate numbers. So when you're taking blocks, money and other things, you can break those things down conceptually as numbers and rearrange them even when they are physical things. Common Core that was the name. I didn't like the way they handled some of it because it was done poorly, not necessarily because it was a bad idea to introduce math as something you manipulate rather than hard and fast.

Putting all this to racism is well grifting. This is a grift. There are a lot of people trying to grift the educational system because they have to do mandatory training for teachers to maintain and update skills. You get some really good stuff that will transfer into the classroom. A lot of teaching is grey situations that vary depending on the teacher/student personalities and how they match up. I'm used to a lot of different enviroments and age groups so I can almost handle it all well. But some teachers can't deal with little ones or older ones etc. Then the situation with the parents vary  and all that. Its different teaching the children of stable, two parent households and teaching the children of parents who are just fucking awful human beings. Those shitty parents exist. But a lot of this document is grifting by repurposing stuff teachers already should be doing but putting a new spin on it. It isn't new, its just failing to address the actual structural issues a teacher would have to be unable to do all of this.

One really important thing that these idiots are ruining though, is the conversation of the racism that we've inherited. Historically ,we are downstream from a lot of shitty human beings who made awful decisions for sociopathic, racist and just them being absolute shit ass people. Those decisions then had a massive amount of consequences that are hard to sort out. The amount of mental illness making bad decisions for swaths of people in the US is massive. The amount of purposefully ill intentioned people using the economic system to enrich themselves while actively fucking people over and calling it a virtue is even crazier. When you add the fact that actual hard racist held seats of power for many years well after reconstruction in many places and made decisions to fuck people over just because they hated that their grandparents were dragged out of Africa and brought here is even nuttier. But that's a really hard problem that we barely talk about properly and we don't even know how to address.

Take the Confederate Statues in the south that were torn down? Did you know a lot of those statues were put up literally just as a massive middle finger to black communities from legit racist people who got into positions of power? But how did that narrative really play out in the media? Oh yeah, it was all about snowflakes and suddenly Fox News cared about the statues of people who used mass media in the south to get poor white people killed for the sake of them owning slaves and staying rich. AYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

So yeah, a lot of stuff is really complicated and we are downstream to a lot of racism but sometimes the issue isn't racism, its that we just have an insane amount of morons fucking ups for the rest of us. A lot of it is unironically idiot republicans. Not even joking. an idiot republican got in as head of the Texas Educaiton Agency some years back and that FUCKING IDIOT wanted to introduce Intelligent Design into the science text books. That's the level of fucking idiots we are dealing with at times.

5 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

California Weighs ‘Equitable Math’: Goal of Obtaining Correct Answer Is Racist

The California education department is considering implementing a statewide math framework that promotes the concept that working to figure out a correct answer in math is an example of racism and white supremacy invading the classroom.

Isn't it also racist to believe that black and latino students are too stupid to come up with the right answers to a framework that has been the foundation of our civilization for thousands of years that they need those afflicted with the White Man's Burden dumb it down for them? 

This idea that anything and everything is somehow "white supremacy" has really gone too far and the worst part is that it's white people perpetuating a lot of it. And the irony of it is, that by taking actions like this one, they themselves are engaging in white supremacy. 

Edited by DoctaMario

Let me put this out there because you kinda really have to understand this outside of the goofy left making it look like its dumb shit:

Really, really, really racist people with a lot of resources made an incredible amount of purposefully harmful decisions towards a lot of minority groups to fuck their life up for generations.

You gotta understand that when they say trauma gets handed down, that's legit. You fuck up one person, they'll have all sorts of issue that are hard to deal with when you have professional help. Instead they are out there trying to figure life out, be a parent etc with a fucked up brain.

The situation is way more complicated than goofy trendy slogans make it appear to be. There's been concerted effort in a lot of those areas, along with propaganda to go with it to make talking about it a pain in the ass that's difficult to untangle. Some bad shit has been rolling generationally and we don't have a good way of fixing any of that.

20 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Let me put this out there because you kinda really have to understand this outside of the goofy left making it look like its dumb shit:

Really, really, really racist people with a lot of resources made an incredible amount of purposefully harmful decisions towards a lot of minority groups to fuck their life up for generations.

You gotta understand that when they say trauma gets handed down, that's legit. You fuck up one person, they'll have all sorts of issue that are hard to deal with when you have professional help. Instead they are out there trying to figure life out, be a parent etc with a fucked up brain.

The situation is way more complicated than goofy trendy slogans make it appear to be. There's been concerted effort in a lot of those areas, along with propaganda to go with it to make talking about it a pain in the ass that's difficult to untangle. Some bad shit has been rolling generationally and we don't have a good way of fixing any of that.

That's fine but how does that make math racist? And what's the alternative? What do you do when these kids get out into the world and can't do basic stuff because someone told them math was racist and they didn't have to bother learning the white man's numbers? If anything it's just going to put potentially disadvantaged kids even further back. 

I'm forever amused by the fact that if the actress Allison Doody were to use her real last name as a username or part of it... most things like Xbox Live or Nintendo's online service would probably auto-censor it.... same goes for Imogen Poots.

On another note... in my endless youtube channel-surfin' I checked out what Tier Zoo was up to again lately...

haha, of course Black Mamba is the king.  Basically they are the "cheap bullshit" character that should really get banned from tournaments.

Edited by MillionX

For those of you who may have been interested in the Google Pixel 6, I believe they finally have made their own iPhone. The one thing about this device is interesting is how well the AI actually does the things that it needs to do. The magic eraser tool may be one of the killer apps that are on this phone. 8 out of 10 times it works fairly well for most people's needs. Also, the voice keyboard is pretty remarkable. I'm actually making this entire post on the voice keyword and I'm not going to do any edits before I actually post it.

1 hour ago, IcyBlackDeep said:

Remember when right-wing media told everyone that critical race theory was being taught in primary schools in order to rile everyone up even though no schools were actually teaching critical race theory?

People need to stop reading things on the internet looking for things to be mad about.

If this is about the math thing, you should check out the 83 page brochure linked in Aries' post. I agree with you, but there are people actually working on this if that brochure is to be believed. 

Edited by DoctaMario

currently on movies! channel---Village of the Damned is on again!  The concept here is so cool; it's a bit odd that there hasn't been a more recent remake of this, since Hollywood loves remaking everything (heh, because that's easier than being original)...I figure a new version with today's production budget and effects could be awesome stuff.  I'm sure the visual of strangely powerful kids with glowing eyes probably gave many people some high-quality nightmares back in the day when this movie was new.

heh, nice...the kids just killed another one...they made one guy turn a shotgun on himself and commit suicide... seems kind of shocking that they showed that much of such a thing in a film that came out in 1960...of course you don't actually see when he blasts his own brains out but you see everything leading up to that....all while they stare at him with the glowing eyes.

Edited by MillionX

my own phone is the galaxy s10e. only thing i can say about it is i love its small size. i hate large phones and i hate how every recent phone has camera bumps when i just wanna lay my phone down flat without it wobbling.

one thing i recently discovered was while listening to music on my headphones i discovered the phone can give you a hearing test to best pump out sound in accordance to your hearing.

but i got depressed when i soon realized 75% o the barely audible beeps of the hearing test..i couldnt hear. im freaking deaf. getting old sucks.

when i was young i could play music max volume for an hour on my walkman. no discomfort. now no way. if i max volume my ears hurt in less than 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

My favorite thing about Halloween is all the scantily clad women in costumes. It makes my no-no place very happy,

I wish I could go out and enjoy the festivities but I'm on graveyard shift, and that makes me a sad panda 

When I worked at a bar, our Halloween event was my favorite event of the year for precisely the reason you just said 😂

7 hours ago, MillionX said:

I'm forever amused by the fact that if the actress Allison Doody were to use her real last name as a username or part of it... most things like Xbox Live or Nintendo's online service would probably auto-censor it.... same goes for Imogen Poots.

On another note... in my endless youtube channel-surfin' I checked out what Tier Zoo was up to again lately...

haha, of course Black Mamba is the king.  Basically they are the "cheap bullshit" character that should really get banned from tournaments.

Everytime I watch one of these I get upset.  Where is THIS fucking game at!?!?!?!?!?  All the "Remake" bullshit they keep doing when this is just sitting there waiting to be made and Nature has done all the leg work for us.  

18 minutes ago, Reiraku said:

Man, I'm way too late to these discussions. How the fuck are people going to tier Disney Princesses and not have Jasmine at the top?

Also, Ranma is leagues ahead of Inu Yasha. Hell, just about anything Rumiko did was better than Inu Yasha. 

You know Jasmine at some point is gonna be ragging on you about how she could have had a prince but settled for your no good street rat ass.

Edited by J-ride
1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Scarily accurate. I hope they tone down some of the excessive goofiness in SF6 and go for a more mature vibe. Not talking MK or anything on that level, just a bit more grit. 

I hope they do the opposite, and go back to something that looks  2D, similar to GG XRD.... Obviously it's not truly 2D and it's a visual trick, but still.

Really dislike how SF4, SFxT, and SF5 looked. Really fugly for my eyes.

TvC and MvC3 looked good though. Might just be subjective bias.

9 minutes ago, Scanman said:

I hope they do the opposite, and go back to something that looks  2D, similar to GG XRD.... Obviously it's not truly 2D and it's a visual trick, but still.

SF4 had terrible models in the beginning, like Lens hair looks like a helmet. It got better later but still had a fucky look about it. SFxT had some of the most garish color design decisions. That whole Pandora thing is fucking uggo to look at. SFV is a big improvement over both imo but still looks really plastic. 

Marvel 3 looks like a moving comic book and has a cohesion to it's whole visual design, like the character select screen being an open comic book. The models have a flatter more GGXrd kind of look to them and it fits the comic book vibe a lot to. Really good looking game imo. 

The first episode of Bewitched is on AntennaTV network again... so, it was in the premiere episode that Sam let Darrin know about her witch powers.  

It's fun seeing how different things were in that era of television... Sam being so eager to be "the best housewife", and so eager to support and please Darrin.  I wonder how many chumps of the modern era would view this as "so problematic"? 😆  You know that if this were a show of today, Darrin would be portrayed as abusive, or just a really stupid person that Samantha routinely has to save *if* she decides to even stay married to him in the first place, since that's how things pan out in entertainment today...the woman is always the superior variant of the human species, and the man is typically portrayed as this stupid, subhuman/inferior, occasionally evil creature (that is also the reason for any bad situation) that must be put in his place and/or killed.

haha so Sam and Darrin are on this dinner date with what I guess is his old girlfriend, so out of jealousy, Sam keeps using her magic tricks to make this other woman look bad in front of everyone.

This is from a time when showrunners primarily cared about putting on an entertaining show that would get some good ratings.  

*ohhhh! This is the start of a marathon!  They're running Bewitched all day for Halloween, apparently.

edit---haha this episode that's on now... Samantha is learning to drive...she was about to hit a parked car so she just made it magically disappear for a moment so it was out of the way as she swerved back onto the road. 🤣

Edited by MillionX
3 hours ago, Scanman said:

That's not what I was really gettin at, I was more speaking on the tone as opposed to graphically, less weird goofy facial expressions and attempts to be funny, more mature storylines. Not lookin for anything edge lord, just something that takes itself a bit more seriously. 

More SF3, less SF4/5. I feel like SF 3 found the balance between grit and still having some of that SF ridiculousness. Kinda hard to put into words what I'm trynna say