Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Official FAQ For The Microsoft x Activision Blizzard Deal Tries And Fails To Answer Some Questions

As part of Microsoft’s proposed $70 billion purchase, an official FAQ of sorts has been sent to all Activision Blizzard employees. Sadly not many questions are actually answered, with responses looking more like huge black holes in the shape of things that could be answers. One day. Maybe.

The FAQ—sent by Activision Blizzard to its own employees—had to be shared with the SEC as part of the whole legal process, so you can read the whole thing here if you feel like it.

Will Bobby remain CEO of Activision Blizzard under Microsoft?

Bobby will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving the company’s culture change and accelerating business growth until closing. Once the deal closes, the Activision Blizzard business will report to Phil Spencer, CEO, Microsoft Gaming.

Here’s Activision Blizzard talking about making games for non-Xbox platforms, and failing to confirm that future games—those not currently in development—won’t be Xbox-exclusive:

How does this transaction impact existing partner agreements (i.e., Sony, Google, Apple)? Will this change what we’re able to offer our partners or how we structure our agreements?

We will honor all existing commitments post close. As with Microsoft’s acquisition of Minecraft, we have no intent to remove any content from platforms where it exists today.

We would be open to discussions to enter into an agreement to confirm our intent when it is appropriate to do so.

How will this transaction affect our pipeline and existing games? How will current projects be affected by the transaction? After the deal closes, will we work on non-Activision Blizzard titles/products within Microsoft/Xbox/Bethesda?

We do not anticipate that this news will affect the rollout of Activision Blizzard’s current pipeline or existing games.

Until close it remains business as usual and both companies will continue to operate independently. We are still working to finalize the specifics of the future organization. For now, we ask that you stay focused on your current responsibilities.

There’s a section where the company’s sexual harassment firestorm is addressed:

What is Microsoft’s position on what has transpired at Activision Blizzard to-date?

We are unable to speak on behalf of Microsoft. However, Activision Blizzard’s leadership team has discussed the company’s goals at length with Microsoft, and Microsoft has reviewed the renewed culture commitment and actions we have done so far, and the efforts they’ve undertaken. Microsoft is supportive of the goals and the work being done.

Here’s a very funny part where “creative” employees (artists, writers, etc) are singled out as though they’re not key and existing parts of a development team, and the question “Is creativity valued at Microsoft?” is asked with the straightest of faces:

Will Creative employees be given the same consideration, opportunities, and resources as they’ve had at Activision Blizzard? Is creativity valued at Microsoft?

Microsoft recognizes and values the depth of talent and creative expertise at Activision Blizzard. In fact, Activision Blizzard’s employees are a driving force behind the combination for Microsoft.

And finally:

If a reporter asks me about this transaction, how should I respond?

Do not provide any response and direct them to Helaine Klasky ([email alias]) immediately.

44 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I wouldn't be surprised if for people like my opponent, all the new players leave in a few days.

Like, wow, it was just his 1st turn and i ate 12800 damage in one single attack.

This nigga was lucky that i donjt have my Super Heavy Samurai deck yet to counter such degeneracy 🤣

Debating doing some YGO videos for fun

So the upcoming game, Sifu, is currently getting some heat because journalists found out that the team behind it is all white and upset that there are no Asians on their team.

Ignoring how it can be interpreted that these people actually believe that all Asians know kung-fu, I’m not seeing what the problem is. It was not too long ago that these same people were complaining about how many video game protagonists were white guys with shaved heads and called for a change. But since Sifu has white people behind it, it’s suddenly bad to have anything other than a white guy as a main character.

This is Ghosts of Tsushima all over again. If they’re not making fun of the culture they are representing, who cares? The fact that this is happening to an indie studio is even worse.

27 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

So the upcoming game, Sifu, is currently getting some heat because journalists found out that the team behind it is all white and upset that there are no Asians on their team.

Ignoring how it can be interpreted that these people actually believe that all Asians know kung-fu, I’m not seeing what the problem is. It was not too long ago that these same people were complaining about how many video game protagonists were white guys with shaved heads and called for a change. But since Sifu has white people behind it, it’s suddenly bad to have anything other than a white guy as a main character.

This is Ghosts of Tsushima all over again. If they’re not making fun of the culture they are representing, who cares? The fact that this is happening to an indie studio is even worse.

This is one of those moments where you're so woke that you go full circle to being possibly offensive without realizing it.

Edited by Sonichuman
30 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Man, people need to stop making mountains out of ant hills. Christ. Just shut the fuck up. 

They probably hired tons of martial arts Mocap artists and directors to help make sure the game is authentic when it comes to combat. Whether they were Asian, black, Latino, white or WHO FUCKING CARES is fucking irrelevant as long as the correct aspects are as authentic as possible 

Fucking Christ I’m all for diversity but in this case they’re just looking for something to bitch and moan about. 

Edited by iStu X
5 hours ago, BornWinner said:

remember when people were bitching about the white flute dude during its reveal at E3 until it was discovered he basically dedicated his entire life to the instrument, was fluent in Japanese and is one of the last living masters of the instrument? 

fucking dumb ass people 

Edited by iStu X
31 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Man, people need to stop making mountains out of ant hills. Christ. Just shut the fuck up. 

Tell me about it.

Just some days ago some motherfuckers harassed a japanese artist for "Whitewashing" a character on a fanart that he made about Encanto.

Nevermind that the character is very lighskinned and the art was done in pastel colors.

It became so viral in latin america that for 1 week straight and counting the hashtag #shutupgringo2022 has been trending with latin americans defending the artist and telling to eat shit to all the idiots that harassed him 🤣

What was amusing is that it didn't took long before the one who started everything to show her racism against latin american men, and "white" latinos, and then play the victim when hundreds of thousands of people daily are telling her to shut the fuck up.

Motherfuckers may be white but they been watched a shit load of kung fu movies and action flicks.  That's enough to make a dope game...I think.  Aside from needing to know how to develop games and such...but they know that too.

Any of you guys play a game called Strange Brigade?

I tried a few games today...gonna try this one next.

qtGfjlP.png

That's right.  I never played it.  In fact I've never even seen gameplay from it other than what I seent on some discord that played a clip of that shit when you got the boot.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
2 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

God Hand was good for its time, under budgeted but good. The story and dialog is hilarious and the game is balls hard, so be ready to lose alot 

I wonder why the main character from that game never made it in any VS titles, he'd fit right in 

Gene and Asura never making it to Marvel Vs or something is a damn shame and huge missed opportunity. 

God Hand is great but yea it's really tough and demanding.