Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

Stranger Things actor "listened to a lot of heavy metal" to get into character 🤘😈🤘

urnkMSnUmp4pnGh2RMWuMY-970-80.jpg.webp

Be it the escalated sense of horror sewn throughout each episode, the fascinating new baddie (don't worry, no spoilers here, promise) or the unlikely rebirth of Kate Bush as a viral sensation, Stranger Things season 4 is already grabbing headlines all over the place.

It's a season awash with fun new additions to the series' ever-expanding cast of characters, too, and few have resonated more keenly than lovably eccentric, Dungeons & Dragons-obsessed metalhead Eddie Munson. Leader of the Hawkins High D&D group Hellfire Club, who have taken beloved Stranger Things protagonists Dustin and Mike under their wing come the start of Episode 1 of the new season, Eddie quickly becomes a central part of the plot as some grizzly goings-on pull our favourite fictional Indiana town back into yet another hellish turn of events.

Donning a spectacular 80s heavy metal perm, plus denim battle jacket complete with giant Dio back patch and W.A.S.P. pin badge, Eddie certainly looks like the real deal, and actor Joe Quinn has confirmed in a new interview that he got stuck into heavy music to help immerse himself in the character. 

"I listened to a lot of heavy metal," he tells Entertainment Weekly. "That was my... God, it's impossible to not sound pretentious when you say it, but, yeah, that was my way in."

"I've played [guitar] since I was 7," he adds, noting that his love of Jack Black-led 2003 musical comedy School Of Rock helped foster a love of the Gibson SG.  "I wouldn't consider myself a brilliant guitarist, but I can play it. That was very lucky because those scripts came out, I think, at some point in the pandemic. I did start practicing pretty furiously."

Quinn also notes the importance that Eddie Munson's already iconic barnet has played in helping to establish the character. "I mean, it's objectively ridiculous," he says," but it serves the character really well. It's very useful as an actor to put something on and instantly you feel like you're looking at a different person."

🤘

5 minutes ago, MillionX said:

I think there was a track from Dance with the Dead in episode 3... it sounded awfully familiar...

of course that got me in the mood for another jam session by them:

YEP...this was it.. from their "The Shape" album:

One of my favorite artists thanks to the algorithm. I've found their music to be great when I'm running. 

18 minutes ago, Reticently said:

You can find good pizza in Pennsylvania, but the worst pizza places here make Little Caesar's look like goddamn high cuisine.

Shit, some of the better reviewed places around me are honestly not even as good as fucking Domino's. 🤢

PA really have some awful Pizza. 

Sad for a state with so much food industry infanstrure 

sheeeittt, the pizza at my old school was horrible... nowhere near LC's level of quality for sure, but at least where I grew up, LC's was actually good back then.  It's only in the recent years that the quality went downhill, imo. It was the special-order stuff that was good; the "Three Meat" was my favorite.  ...and that "Crazy Bread" with the "Crazy Sauce" was SO good.  When I was a kid---I remember Domino's had the problem of being generally too dry... and Pizza Hut had the opposite problem of being way too greasy....though sometimes that problem can be fixed by using napkins to "sponge" away the excess grease.  heh, a weekend done "right" back was a quick trip to Little Caesar's for that large order including Crazy Bread and sauce, and maybe a couple of movies and/or games rented from the Blockbuster right next door to it.

...but yeah that brought back the memories of those sad little square pizzas at school.  Funny thing is that the pizzas were bad, but still far superior to the rest of the trash being served up at my school.  I started bringing my lunch at some point during 1st grade and never stopped....yeah it was that bad.  Even up through high school; I never ate cafeteria food there either; I always brought something or just got a snack out of the vending machine.  Cafeteria food at my university was also terrible....the breakfast was passable though.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

I rather eat Little Caesars than the trash PA tries to pass off as Pizza. 

And this is their actual pizza and not the abject horror that is Altoona style pizza

My mom's side of the family is from PA and her cousins still live there.  PA is kind of an odd state because they have great diners, are close to NJ and NY but somehow no one in the state can make a pizza.

Y'know, I can't help but wonder if that girl playing Nancy Wheeler is alright.... she looks like someone suffering from bulimia...like she's in desperate need of food.  I was thinking she might've grown out of that by now but nah, she's still a toothpick.

On another note---the trend of erasing redhead characters continues with the latest victim being Carrie Kelly.  The Gotham Knights CW show of course made her black, as per the rules of modern Hollywood casting.

Edited by MillionX

ah, Intuitive Aptitude sounds like the overall better choice since it only involves the user observing the power, apparently like Taskmaster.  If there's no limit to what power can be understood and replicated this way (I think Taskmaster is limited to just things that are physically possible for a human), on yeah that's my deal of choice for sure.  From what I've seen online just now about empathic mimicry, it involves channeling emotions and/or proximity....which is a bit more "work" than simply observing an power/ability to get it... not having to be close by would be a bonus as well.

18 minutes ago, VirginDefiler said:

saint seiya is like top 3 for me when it comes to anime ost. tho this is a cover song by her.

If you lived in Latin America, you knew Saint Seiya was hot FIYAH. These young ins don't even know.....

And speaking of Kate Bush's song....for some reason I still prefer the Placebo cover.

Maybe because it reminds me of the BEST wrestling package video of all time

10 hours ago, Reticently said:

You can find good pizza in Pennsylvania, but the worst pizza places here make Little Caesar's look like goddamn high cuisine.

Shit, some of the better reviewed places around me are honestly not even as good as fucking Domino's. 🤢

I've always heard about this place in Pittsburgh. Is the praise it gets earned or is this some weird illuminati plot to send us into the end times?

23 minutes ago, elliephil said:

I've always heard about this place in Pittsburgh. Is the praise it gets earned or is this some weird illuminati plot to send us into the end times?

I haven't ever gotten pizza there- it's far enough from my house that I'd pass a hundred other pizza places to get there.

That said, local reviews say it's just a gimmick that tastes exactly like you think it does.  And even if it isn't bad, it's not exactly really a pizza either.

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Damn canada saw what was goin on here and shut it all fucking down.

Sweeping gun reform ane freeze on hand guns. thats fuckin wild

I was just gonna post that

285237140_5789156124507797_4319428442035

The Canadian government introduced a proposed bill on May 30 that would place a national freeze on importing, buying, or selling handguns across the country. The announcement comes in the wake of recent mass shootings in the U.S.

‘Unfortunately, the reality is in our country [gun violence] is getting worse and has been getting worse over the past years,’ Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters in Ottawa. ‘We need only look south of the border to know that if we do not take action, firmly and rapidly, it gets worse and worse and more difficult to counter.’

In addition to the proposed freeze, Canada’s government is also reportedly exploring the possibility of a mandatory ‘buyback’ program for banned firearms, such as AR-15s. After an April 2020 series of shootings in rural Nova Scotia killed 22 people, the deadliest attack of its kind in Canadian history, the government banned more than 1,500 types of military-style assault firearms. The ban went into effect in May of the same year.

According to a press release from Trudeau’s office, the number of registered handguns in the country increased 71% from 2010 to 2022, rising to approx 1.1 million

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but in case anyone doesn't know... Canada probably has the most restrictive gun laws in the world. Most guns can't be obtained without background checks, training, and many other rules that must be obeyed. Some of these include always leaving guns unloaded, cable tied, and sometimes even disassembled depending on their classification. (They fall under non-restricted, restricted, and prohibited classifications.)

Handguns are effectively unobtainable already since you need to report a valid reason for owning a handgun, such as for work, directly to RCMP. (Wildlife, bank trucks, etc.)  Handguns are considered restricted and/or prohibited under current federal gun control laws.

With that in mind, the federal government has a vice grip on firearms in Canada and I think this move is to genuinely exert the control further, not some PR stunt in a country with low incidence of firearm related violent crime. Anyone who needs a rifle or shotgun for the farm can still get one since they do not fall under restricted or prohibited classifications.

Please don't fall for the nonsense arguments that will arise in the next few weeks, like some people did with the trucker convoy. These people are too stupid to understand why they are mad most of the time. I met a lot of Americans during my stay in New England screaming tyranny at my country, like as if they actually know what's good for me and I'm sure it's about to happen again when I go back lol.

Edited by elliephil

So this just passed in my home state.

Maryland lawmakers pass bill to ban ‘ghost guns’

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-maryland-lawmakers-pass-ghost-gun-bill-20220330-chubnl4q2vd5lppvwxe4sz63e4-story.html

The Maryland General Assembly has approved a measure to ban so-called ghost guns, which don’t have serial numbers.

The House gave the measure final passage 92-41 on Tuesday, sending it to Republican Gov. Larry Hogan. The Senate approved the bill 35-11 earlier this month. Both Houses have heavy Democratic majorities.

Hogan’s spokesman Michael Ricci said the governor will consider this legislation when it reaches his desk, but “he continues to call on the General Assembly to take action to hold those who use guns to commit violent crimes accountable.”

Under the measure, guns made after Oct. 22, 1968, will have to have a serial number on them.

Ghost guns are generally sold as kits that are 80% complete that purchasers finish putting together themselves. Buying gun kits online allows purchasers to avoid Maryland’s requirements for gun ownership, including background checks and, in the case of handguns, a training course and a special license.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You can't make this shit up. These motherfuckers have some nerve.

https://radaronline.com/p/johnny-depp-amber-heard-aclu-86000-legal-bills/

Considering they helped draft the article that is at the heart of this defamation case, I think they should fuck off and pay their expenses. That will teach you to aid and abed a cheater and liar who never fucking paid you what she promised to begin with. 

On a side not I've really come to discover my girl and I fall asleep to very different audio. I took a nap and fell asleep to some gaming podcast where dorks drone on forever. I wake up to her in bed next to me and fucking ABBA blasting on the TV. How the fuck you even tri to sleep some energetic ass bullshit like ABBA? Now Bohemeian Rhapsody is on, woman wtf, this is not sleeping audio in the slightest. And she wonders why I choose to sleep on the couch so much lol.  

Edited by RSG3
11 hours ago, Lantis said:

If you lived in Latin America, you knew Saint Seiya was hot FIYAH. These young ins don't even know.....

I like 3:00 because they used that part of the song when the saints would lose their five senses, and it was the first time they had to look inward to obtain the seventh sense.

^13 Beautiful Golden Saints played when you knew shit was going to get real. You are blind, and then a golden saint appears walking in midair like it's nothing.

Btw, I read once that Death Mask's powers having to do with death is because as Cancer is the fourth zodiac sign, and there's superstitious tetraphobia in Japan about the number 4 because it can mean death (shi).

I really like how the first half of the song builds of a sense of drama

Seiji Yokoyama was a great composer, dude was on a different level doing these orchestral, Greek, jazz and rock tunes. Sadly, he passed away in 2017. These youngins don't even know!!

7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Considering they helped draft the article that is at the heart of this defamation case, I think they should fuck off and pay their expenses. That will teach you to aid and abed a cheater and liar who never fucking paid you what she promised to begin with. 

5 hours ago, J-ride said:

I think Jonny should take the ACLU to court next and continue crushing his enemies.  I'd refuse to settle out of spite.  He should teach them what is best in life:

I think this is a little misdirected.  Whoever Heard used as lawyers, the lawyers mostly have to work under the assumption that their client is telling them the truth- short of Heard claiming shit that would have clearly been an obvious lie from the get-go anyway.  Doesn't matter if it was the ACLU, Cooley LLC, or some random independent hanging their name out on a shingle.

As for the ACLU billing Depp, Depp's lawyers hit the ACLU with a request that took hundreds of hours of work to fulfill.  I can't say what the ACLU is asking for is "fair", but I don't think any of us are surprised that lawyers feel like their time should be expensive.  FWIW, if Depp wins legal costs, all that money is going to come from Heard anyway.