Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

3 hours ago, KingTubb said:

How did death stranding and MGSV do in Japan? 

Kojima pushed western actors pretty hard in both of those games. Neither of them really had any connections to Japan at all, and the only Japanese character I remember from MGSV was literally crippled in it.  I've been getting the vibe from Kojima that he's trying to put his foot in the door in the west cause he wants to move into hollywood or something. 

Kojima does ok in Japan, but his games whether Death Stranding or recent Metal Gear titles aren't usually among the elite sellers in Japan nor do they last all that long on the charts. He got some fans over there but the Xbox hate in Japan is way stronger.

33 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Sony software not charting is a huge deal.

This generation transition has been super weird. 

Other than Rise, there hasn't been too many Monster (pun intended ZING!!) releases in the last 6 months. I feel like the FF7 PS5 exclusive stuff is gonna move a lot of units in Japan and whenever DQ12 drops in (I'm guessing) the next 18-24 months. 

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

This is meta as fuck and I love it 

No more heroes series overview trailer 

Just after I bought the LRG ver...I KNEW there was going to be a repackaging of the og 2 games for switch...but I think the best option is to keep the LRG as a collectable and buy the trilogy as my playable ver. 

26 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Just after I bought the LRG ver...I KNEW there was going to be a repackaging of the og 2 games for switch...but I think the best option is to keep the LRG as a collectable and buy the trilogy as my playable ver. 

That collection likely isn’t coming stateside due to the partnership with LRG. 

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Okay this just us silly.

Both last gen and this gen the Joke has been Xbox has no games.

Also there always been a strong National pride for consoles in Japan. The Xbox consoles never sold well there.

In actually the last good Microsoft machines that sold well in Japan was the MSX line of microcomputers, and MS licensed that off to a dozen or so manufacturers to make.

If anything, MS if they want to sell big in Japan needs to take that route again. 

Let some Japanese company take over the Xbox brand in Japan. 

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

The whole video is in English though. So I’m confused on why you’re waiting 

The full presentation isn't in english though.  I want to know what they're saying about the game.  The only video I've seen come up in my feed is Good Vibes Gaming's where they streamed the presentation but there's no english subtitles.

And then there's this vid that also has gameplay but the devs are talking over it and there aren't any subs

That's what I'm talking about.

6 hours ago, Scanman said:

Fellas,

It's taken 9 or so months (since July), but I've finally beaten this game they call... Cuphead.

And now I'll probably never play it again. I don't hate myself that much lol.

Edit: I only play it once a week or so. During the same time I have about 500 hours of DBFZ lol.

haha, as with everyone else who has experience the whole game now... I'm curious as to which boss you'd say is the worst/toughest?  

Strange thing is that I admire the design so this isn't necessarily a negative commentary thing--- for me it's about a tie between Dr. Kahl's Robot and that green dragon.  The margin for error in the fight with Robot is extremely slim... looks like if you mess up even slightly there at any point it's all over for ya.

hmm..between those top 2, I'm more inclined to say Green Dragon is slightly in the lead, actually... I have more faith in consistently beating Robot...whereas the fight with the green dragon involves a bit of luck.  There's sooo many things that can go wrong for the player in that fight....and a big part of the challenge is that there is no ground; you're jumping from 1 cloud to another while trying to fight a dragon who spits fireballs that later break into more fireballs.

Oddly enough, even the final boss I'd say is easier than these 2.

edit---well, relatively easier, of course....hahaha I'm not sure one can seriously call anything in this damn game "easy" for real. 😆

edit 2--- Diablo 3: I'm already close to finishing up the 4th seasonal challenge; paragon 50 something now...only 1 piece of Firebird though at the moment....ha, I named this wizard "Orko".

...y'know, the set items were the biggest game changer in D3.  When I got just the first 2 pieces of Tal Rasha a little while ago, I was reminded once again of the huge difference... it was like I went from being Krillin status straight to super-saiyajin Goku caliber.  It's ridiculous....and once again I was then laughing to myself about that friend who hardly ever played with set items equipped...no kind of build synergy then wondering "why are my characters so weak!!!" 🤣  I kept trying to tell him the true power of these characters, at least for a long time was in builds centered around those set item bonuses.  No other build outside a "Legacy of Dreams" kinda thing is even close.

Edited by MillionX

They're releasing a 4K remastering of Advent Children Complete

https://www.ign.com/videos/final-fantasy-vii-advent-children-complete-4k-remastered-official-trailer

It say additional 26 minutes director cut but I'm unsure if that's 26 more minutes on top of Complete or if they're just talking about original extra footage that was already in Complete.

More 4K Switch Dock rumors, along with the possibility of bluetooth audio

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-switch-datamine-could-point-to-4k-version-dock-and-bluetooth-audio

rumors are coming from dataminers looking in the latest firmware update on switch.  Still nothing that puts it over 50% right now but I want that bluetooth audio rumor to be true.

IO Interactive working on new game as well as James Bond

https://www.ign.com/articles/io-interactive-is-working-on-a-new-ip-in-addition-to-hitman-and-james-bond-ign-unfiltered

RE:Verse beta suspended due to matchmaking issues

https://www.ign.com/articles/resident-evil-re-verse-beta-suspended-due-to-matchmaking-issues

The Witcher Blood prequel lead leaves right before filming began

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-witcher-blood-origin-jodie-turner-smith-exits-series-before-filming-begins

well...that can't be good

RE Showcase set for April 15th

Deathloop pushed back to sept 2021

Spoiler

Zombie Army 4 New Gen upgrade

There's a rumor floating around that Borderlands 3 might show up on Switch, mostly due to the game showing up on a ratings board.  So...probably a high chance of it happening.

^Twin stick shooter

18 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Anyone with Apple Arcade, do yourself a favor and  pick up World of Demons. Platinum knocked it out of the park 

i got apple arcade. been meaning to play it just been super busy. 

it'll be nice to play it on my actual tv as well since I have an apple tv hooked up

@Scanman You beat Cuphead? It took me forever to pass some of the first few stages and I STILL haven't finished it! Good job, bro. Now go beat Battletoads.

I finally got PAC-ONE in PAC-MAN 99. It pays to just camp by a power pellet, wait for a ghost train to come your way and just devour the whole lot. I went ahead and dropped money for the whole lot of the DLC. Score Attack mode is fun and the plethora of different themes are great. I'm surprised how much I like the Dig Dug theme when I was never the biggest fan of that game. 

EDIT: I mistook Scanman for Sonichuman.

Edited by RegH81
3 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

@SonichumanYou beat Cuphead? It took me forever to pass some of the first few stages and I STILL haven't finished it! Good job, bro. Now go beat Battletoads.

I finally got PAC-ONE in PAC-MAN 99. It pays to just camp by a power pellet, wait for a ghost train to come your way and just devour the whole lot. I went ahead and dropped money for the whole lot of the DLC. Score Attack mode is fun and the plethora of different themes are great. I'm surprised how much I like the Dig Dug theme when I was never the biggest fan of that game. 

Wrong person.  That would be Scanman.  I have not bought or played Cuphead.

PC Gaming showcase and Future games showcase has announced their times

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/pc-gaming-show-2021-and-future-games-show-set-for-june-13

June 13th...don't have exact times yet though.

4 hours ago, MillionX said:

haha, as with everyone else who has experience the whole game now... I'm curious as to which boss you'd say is the worst/toughest?  

Strange thing is that I admire the design so this isn't necessarily a negative commentary thing--- for me it's about a tie between Dr. Kahl's Robot and that green dragon.  The margin for error in the fight with Robot is extremely slim... looks like if you mess up even slightly there at any point it's all over for ya.

hmm..between those top 2, I'm more inclined to say Green Dragon is slightly in the lead, actually... I have more faith in consistently beating Robot...whereas the fight with the green dragon involves a bit of luck.  There's sooo many things that can go wrong for the player in that fight....and a big part of the challenge is that there is no ground; you're jumping from 1 cloud to another while trying to fight a dragon who spits fireballs that later break into more fireballs.

Oddly enough, even the final boss I'd say is easier than these 2.

For me it's King Dice. 7 of the 9 mini-bosses to get to him aren't too bad, but 2 of them (Pirouletta dancer and Mr. Chimes- the monkey) are damn near impossible. AND THEN you have to fight King Dice as well. I only beat him because for some reason the game glitched and he went into a pose (he produces cards that run on  the ground) but for some reason no cards came out. So I just sat under him and kept shooting until he died.

I think most of my deaths in the game come from Baroness von Bon Bon (candyland woman). Until I got the homing weapon, which finally allowed me to beat her.

3rd would be Dr. Kahl's Robot (the same one you mentioned). Flying levels are tough.

Purely out of the blue here... Twisted Metal 2 just came to mind... I was remembering how much fun I had with that back then.  If they ever remade that with today's graphics, it would be a DAY ONE buy for me easyyyy.

The gameplay/control was perfect... *at the time* the graphics were great, and I loved that "animated comic book art" style of the cinematics they had going on, and the general concept of the thing... I loved everything about it.  Calypso was cool as the main villain behind it all.

10 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Okay this just us silly. How many PS4s are in Japan right? The PS5 plays PS4 games to boot. Sony software not charting is a huge deal. It would be like Xbox games not charting in the US. Even when the PS2 was curb stomping the Xbox and Gamecube. Their games were still charting. 

the home console market in japan has been shrinking for a while and i think Sony is starting to give up on it. it's hard to focus on a failing market when in the west they're bigger than ever. Japan has always been on portables for the most part anyway.

Edited by rukawa_kaede

Random Video Game find of the night - 

Fight-N-Rage for $2.91 via steam code on PlayAsia. 

https://www.play-asia.com/fightn-rage/13/70dumx

I was looking into grabbing it on the Switch as I never heard of the title and seemed pretty interesting. Did a search on PlayAsia to see if it was available elsewhere physically. Took the gamble and it now it's part of the library. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
2 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Random Video Game find of the night - 

Fight-N-Rage for $2.91 via steam code on PlayAsia. 

https://www.play-asia.com/fightn-rage/13/70dumx

I was looking into grabbing it on the Switch as I never heard of the title and seemed pretty interesting. Did a search on PlayAsia to see if it was available elsewhere physically. Took the gamble and it now it's part of the library. 

FnR is so goddamn good. On the surface, you can play it like any other brawler, but once you start to learn the kinks of its combat you'll really have a lot to sink your teeth into. Training mode (which you strangely have to unlock) will introduce you to a lot of the mechanics. Then there's the large difference between characters, a lot of alternate stages, and several play modes. Anyone who has even the slightest interest in brawlers should grab this deal. 

My only complaint with Fight-N-Rage was that all those unlockable characters could ONLY be used for the Vs. mode, I think... once I found that out, it cut down my desire to unlock the rest of them.  Part of the fun with this type of game for me is playing through the main story mode with newly unlocked characters each time.  The other nitpick is that it only has local co-op, instead of online 😞  Still, in terms of the gameplay... it's arguably the best beatemup of all time, actually.  

ooh, this channel just posted a new vid about D2 Resurrected...

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

My only complaint with Fight-N-Rage was that all those unlockable characters could ONLY be used for the Vs. mode, I think... once I found that out, it cut down my desire to unlock the rest of them.  Part of the fun with this type of game for me is playing through the main story mode with newly unlocked characters each time.  The other nitpick is that it only has local co-op, instead of online 😞  Still, in terms of the gameplay... it's arguably the best beatemup of all time, actually.  

ooh, this channel just posted a new vid about D2 Resurrected...

Really?

I am very surprised to hear you say so.

Fight 'n Rage bored me to tears.

AND the asthetic was gross, imo.

I think the top beat em ups of all time are:

#5. Streets of Rage 2

#4. The Simpsons

#3. Turtles in Time

#2. Streets of Rage 4

#1. Streets of Rage Remix 5.0a

Honorable mention goes to the hybrid Dragon's Crown and ' dat ass, pre-nerf.

Diablo 2 was a great grind, but disgustingly flawed, even back in the day.

No New Fags are going to put up with the sheer misery induced mechanics that were badly designed even back then, much less wait around in a lobby for a tricked out Paladin to carry them through the otherwise game-ending roadblock that was Hell Ancients. Far less so for an Ist. Much less two. I heard they finally made it so Barbs don't auto-delete to Iron Maiden in the original, at least.

D2 without major Quality of Life improvements will be DOA no titties edition.

Edited by JHDK
TypO Positive.

ohhhh I actually forgot about Dragon's Crown... since it is a mixture of action-RPG and sidescrolling beatemup, or really hack/slash/magic beatemup, I guess..... hmmm yeah I'd give the edge to that.  Fight-N-Rage shines purely in the gameplay aspect.  The combos and fast action in that game are delicious.....my only nitpick with that game was that the wizard felt sadly underpowered compared to just about everyone else in the game....a sad thing for me since I always prefer playing the mage archetype.... I suspected that like in other games, the devs may have been scared of making the wizard too OP (a magic character by definition has a tendency to be pretty ridiculous), but the final design left the character with the opposite problem.

Streets of Rage...I've come to like part 4 a little better than the old champ part 2 (the previous GOAT, imo), actually.  

12 minutes ago, MillionX said:

ohhhh I actually forgot about Dragon's Crown... since it is a mixture of action-RPG and sidescrolling beatemup, or really hack/slash/magic beatemup, I guess..... hmmm yeah I'd give the edge to that.  Fight-N-Rage shines purely in the gameplay aspect.  The combos and fast action in that game are delicious.....my only nitpick with that game was that the wizard felt sadly underpowered compared to just about everyone else in the game....a sad thing for me since I always prefer playing the mage archetype.... I suspected that like in other games, the devs may have been scared of making the wizard too OP (a magic character by definition has a tendency to be pretty ridiculous), but the final design left the character with the opposite problem.

Streets of Rage...I've come to like part 4 a little better than the old champ part 2 (the previous GOAT, imo), actually.  

Cherry is so fucking cherry, with the buffs.

She's the best character now, imo.

Cherry>Blaze>Floyd>Adam>>>>>Ass-Smell

Edited by JHDK
Called him Axe Smell. Like the body spray. Not sure he's THAT bad.
3 hours ago, Camacho said:

FnR is so goddamn good. On the surface, you can play it like any other brawler, but once you start to learn the kinks of its combat you'll really have a lot to sink your teeth into. Training mode (which you strangely have to unlock) will introduce you to a lot of the mechanics. Then there's the large difference between characters, a lot of alternate stages, and several play modes. Anyone who has even the slightest interest in brawlers should grab this deal. 

I am so upset that I let that one slide on Limited Run games. It's even more impressive when you realize that the game was made basically by two people (one dev and one musician). I'll just have to use my Switch controller on the PC and just call it a day for now. 

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. I was up waaaaaaay too long just enjoying it. I finished River City Girls the other day and this plays significantly better. The characters in that game feel heavy and slow even when you max the stats out. To be honest,  I was pretty disappointed. It's not bad, but some of the play mechanics left little to be desired. 

56 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Fight 'n Rage bored me to tears.

giphy.gif

56 minutes ago, JHDK said:

I think the top beat em ups of all time are:

#5. Streets of Rage 2

#4. The Simpsons

#3. Turtles in Time

#2. Streets of Rage 4

#1. Streets of Rage Remix 5.0a

I had my wife playing SOR4 for a couple of hours. That was fun. Never played Remix. Surprised Scott Pilgrim isn't on the list as an honorable mention. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
17 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Surprised Scott Pilgrim isn't on the list as an honorable mention. 

Cause it really isn't that good. 

It's somehow less than the sum of it's parts. Music? Amazing. Artstyle? Amazing. Charm? Amazing.

It really gets dragged down by it's gameplay, which is a bummer. Enemy types end up being annoying by the end of the game, the skill progression kind of sucks, and the bosses are pretty lame. 

I still adore the game cause I love the IP, but I think it gets a lot of passes cause it's a licensed game that came out when licensed games were synonymous with "Shitty cash grab" 

Edit: I will add that I have a recency  bias because the switch port was a buggy mess and I had a miserable time with it. But I loved it when it came out and played it a lot with the homies in college 

Edited by KingTubb
4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

It's somehow less than the sum of it's parts. Music? Amazing. Artstyle? Amazing. Charm? Amazing.

It really gets dragged down by it's gameplay, which is a bummer. Enemy types end up being annoying by the end of the game, the skill progression kind of sucks, and the bosses are pretty lame. 

I could see that argument. I played the hell out of it, but I agree about enemies at the end game being annoying. It certainly plays a shitload better than River City Girls. 

3 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

It certainly plays a shitload better than River City Girls

I...would...agree...

I guess Martian is still on hiatus, and he's the only big RCG Stan that I know here so I don't have to walk on eggshells, but I was totally underwhelmed by it. 

I know it's pretty universally praised, but outside of the writing and the art, I don't like anything about it all that much. 

Even the music, which a lot of people really love. 

not feeling it GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

Edited by KingTubb
7 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I know it's pretty universally praised, but outside of the writing and the art, I don't like anything about it all that much. 

Even the music, which a lot of people really love. 

That's what got me about it. It was literally the definition of OK (gameplay wise). I spent the cost of the game and have a physical copy so I am not hurt by it. The universe rewarded me a solid consolation price with FnR so I am not too mad. 

The game had a lot of charm and the story entertained me; but it's not a great game to play. If it doesn't play well, then it becomes an uphill battle.  

Edited by OPTIMUS124

sheeeitttt, someone needs to make a new game where you play as an actual pest...like a fly, or mosquito.  There was a game back on PS2 called "Mr. Mosquito" that randomly came to mind.. it looked a bit on the boring side, but that concept being made into a game fascinated me, since I've always been fascinated by insects ever since I was a little kid.  I'm surprised that hasn't ever been a common thing in the games industry.  The only things I even recall are random shit based on The Bee Movie and Antz I'm sure ( which are most likely half-ass "movie games" and.... simple due to being designed for little kids as the main audience👎)....and that Mr. Mosquito game.  

D3-- paragon 103 or so at this point... those early paragon levels just fly by super fast, man....and with all 6 pieces of Tal Rasha set now, my wizard is pretty damn ridiculous... I still need the rest of Firebird though, since that's my main interest this season.  They apparently listened to the audience a bit and reversed some of the nerfs at the last minute, so it's likely back to being super powerful again.

Gears 5 - I might finally get that Hivebusters DLC this weekend... also I'm getting close to finishing that tour of duty, so that *Slight Spoiler Character* skin for general rank will soon be mine!  A shame they don't seem to have plans on ever bringing Beast Mode back to Gears though.... as I said before, my suspicion on that is that the new crew working on Gears since 4 and now 5 might have some kind of moral hang-up about that, or they might be a bit too lazy to bring it back....at least that is my assumption.  I'm learning on the "too lazy" thing as being more likely.

...oh, random little moment of Horde greatness---- it was Blood Drive (easiest Horde map ever, imo)--- I was on ground level and saw one dude way at the back on that upstairs part, getting dragged away by a Sire... I had Boomshot equipped and went for it... active reload... annnd BOOM PERFECT hit on that muthafucka, saving the dude's life from the Sire....haha "from downtown!" with that Hail Mary-ribbon shot there... little moments like that.... delicious.