Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

I think I've expressed my feelings on Souls-like games (e.g., Sekiro) in the thread. One of the games in my backlog was the Nioh Collection (PS5). I grabbed it off of FB marketplace brand new a few months back for $15. In my infinite wisdom, I randomly decided to install that. I didn't find the game too difficult until I hit the first legit boss following the prologue. Died a good 10 times. I put the controller down, turned the PS5 off and walked away for about 30 min. Then my brain hit me with "You only quit because it's the first boss and he made you his bitch 🤣".

Every time I died it was legitimately my fault. Sat back on the couch, tapped the PS5 button, and decided to re-engage. Even though this is action-combat, it's different. When I beat him, all of it was because every "death"  taught me something. Managing your stamina and learning how to properly defend attacks are critical. I have to rewire my thoughts to seeing death as another item in the toolkit. It may have finally clicked and will be a glutton for punishment the next couple weeks. 

I pushed back pretty hard on the claim that Sekiro is a Souls Like. It's really not. 

With that said, like Souls games, tho this really Feomsoft in general, and like Nioh the first step to starting to get good at them is to except death isn't a big deal, in fact it's just a learning opportunity. I think it's the first wall we all have to learn to climb over in order to enjoy these types of games. 

Maybe even any type of game depending on the person. My girlfriends 6 year old Grand Daighter is in love with A Hat in Time, but she doesn't have the patience for all the bottomless pits and asks me to do stages for all the time because she dies. I eventually stopped doing it for her and told her death was part of the experience. She got upset and said I never die. Bout an hour later she climbed into my lap while I was playing Elden Ring. Watched for about 3 hours and at one point said "Oh you died again." First of all thanks kids, I hadn't noticed the big red YOU DIED across my screen. Second and more important tho was saying "See I die to, all the time." When I found her back on Hat in Time later that day she was really giving it a go and not letting the deaths make her quite so mad. 

We've been spoiled my man. Why death still happens, so many games seem to go out of their way to make it either hard to die, or youu checkpoint so close death is pretty meaningless. 

So I welcome you back into the embrace of death in Videogames. It's a good thing. You'll feel a lot better killing a boss who killed you multiple times then you will having 1 shot them. 

Also if you wanna co-op some I will totally reinstall Nioh 2. 

3 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I think I've expressed my feelings on Souls-like games (e.g., Sekiro) in the thread. One of the games in my backlog was the Nioh Collection (PS5). I grabbed it off of FB marketplace brand new a few months back for $15. In my infinite wisdom, I randomly decided to install that. I didn't find the game too difficult until I hit the first legit boss following the prologue. Died a good 10 times. I put the controller down, turned the PS5 off and walked away for about 30 min. Then my brain hit me with "You only quit because it's the first boss and he made you his bitch 🤣".

Every time I died it was legitimately my fault. Sat back on the couch, tapped the PS5 button, and decided to re-engage. Even though this is action-combat, it's different. When I beat him, all of it was because every "death"  taught me something. Managing your stamina and learning how to properly defend attacks are critical. I have to rewire my thoughts to seeing death as another item in the toolkit. It may have finally clicked and will be a glutton for punishment the next couple weeks. 

Nioh is tough, but the skill ceiling is high which gives you the opportunity to be more powerful. I also feel there's less BS toughness than in ER/souls. But there's definitely some brutal points regardless.

15 hours ago, purbeast said:

The way that place is crammed and just tight on space (to no fault of their own - just a lot of games), I can't imagine how much work is required to move a cabinet out of there to do work on it.  I know you can get to monitors without doing that too though but it's tight in there.

Most of the problems with the monitors can probably be fixed with cap kits and/or flyback replacements.  Flybacks can be tough to find though.  I still have 2 monitors I need to do that on I've just been lazy for months about it lol.

this is disappointing

yeah it was one of the things I forgot to point out the controls in the KOF 98  cab were all over the place and the left side stick didn't work properly.I didn't think much of it at the time 'cause the arcade had just opened its doors not long ago. i thought those issues were going get ironed out but looks like they're still present

8 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

get all the skill points associated with ki pulse and make yourself learn how to ki pulse everytime you do anything. game is mad fun once you get it down.

4 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

this is disappointing

yeah it was one of the things I forgot to point out the controls in the KOF 98  cab were all over the place and the left side stick didn't work properly.I didn't think much of it at the time 'cause the arcade had just opened its doors not long ago. i thought those issues were going get ironed out but looks like they're still present

Pretty much every game I played, I would just use the 2 player side because chances are that the 1 player side has been used more.

Thankfully some of the fighters I played a bit like MK1, MK2, and KI had perfect controls.  Ironically, I own all of those actual arcade games at home so I felt like a waste playing the over there lol.

ha, that was odd... I started Blood Hunt on Steam Deck earlier... and at first I was in what I thought was the solo tutorial.... and thought "well...this AI character is actually ...is this a real player?" haha even though I'm 100% sure I picked that tutorial it put me in a real match anyway... and I did survive for a surprisingly long time there.

...oh, but this match I just had though... holy shit that was epic... I kept playing it safe, basically hiding with my usual Nosferatu vanish/invisibility shenanigans... popping out to take cheapshots to catch people off guard.... the others were mostly fighting on the rooftops while I was street level.  The numbers kept dwindling, and I kept taking my cheap shots...suddenly I was in the last 10... I kept being a sneaky bastard... and boom---5... and then it was down to just me and 1 other vamp!  I should've killed this guy, but I kept getting caught up in reload animations... I had already placed the sewer bombs in the immediate area, so he was already taking damage constantly from the gas...and in the last few shots we both were downed as the red gas rolled in.  For a second, I was thinking I might actually win this since I was downed first, so I would've been the first to get up after regenerating, but the red gas covered the whole area at that point, which stopped regeneration....this swung things back in his favor, as with regeneration cut off, I would then be the first to die to the red gas.  It kills me that I forgot how or if you can record a clip on Steam Deck; I would've clipped that for sure.  It was funny how we both crawled into the rapidly shrinking "clean" area of the room, until that gas just covered everything.  Of course the amount of exp I got from that match was huge compared to my earlier attempts.... so there ya have it---  on gamepad controls instead of mouse/keyboard #2 out of the 40-ish people in there.

I tried playing mouse/keyboard, but it's still just not working out for me... in this match I switched back over to what I know best which is the gamepad controls.  My movement just seems wayyyy better and easier that way.  On keyboard/mouse it looks like I'm a person who has never even played a videogame before; it's handicapping the shit out of me so far....like I'm trying to drive a car upside down with my feet on the steering wheel and my hands on the gas pedal.

Edited by MillionX

Yeah, the port on the topside is USB-C... so I bought one of those connectors...the cord is usbc and the little box part has extra regular usb ports and an hdmi slot... so from there I just bought a cheap extra keyboard earlier today.... of course this kinda kills the true "portable" nature of the Deck, but I had to give it a shot and see what that's like.... my next one to look into might be the 2016 Doom and/or Doom Eternal.....and maybe Borderlands 3.

One odd thing is that sometimes I couldn't turn around with mouse/keyboard... like I'd be moving the mouse to make the character look right or left but it would just stop like there's a "wall" to the movement suddenly, even though the mouse was still working....unlike when I'm using gamepad controls and I can swivel the character's view all around constantly without ever hitting a stopping point.  With mouse it also occasionally made my character immediately look at the ground for some reason...though that was very rare, fortunately....still, that's some obvious bullshit you can't afford to have happen in any game where fractions of a second matter when engaged in a firefight with someone.

*with the HDMI port on the connector, apparently I could put the Steam Deck's audio/video out to the tv as well... also---it just happens to fit the same stand I've always used for my Switch, which is the cradle for my WiiU controller.

whoah this dude is still around... anyway, his video popped up in a quick search for Steam Deck commentary:

Edited by MillionX

When I go to the page on Steam this is what I see - CK4F3Xc.png so I guess I'll be able to actually pay for it then cause there is no option to pay for one now.   Like you I'm going to get the middle option or whatever.

Its weird, handhelds are my preferred way to play games.  I love handhelds cause I can play anywhere and I dont take up any of my other devices/screens.  The weird thing is that I mostly use them at home. 

Anyhow, I've noticed a lot lately how games are...uhhh...they're based in some alternate 1980's.  Kinda cool I think.

I'm still pretty hooked on Rogue Legacy 2 still.  Its a lotta fun.  I'm at some boss that's just Eyes.  A big eye on each side of the screen.  I fought it 3 times now and lost.  Gonna play that now and try to beat that fucker. 

3 hours ago, Genghis_Dong said:

get all the skill points associated with ki pulse and make yourself learn how to ki pulse everytime you do anything. game is mad fun once you get it down.

Man. . . this is akin to the Exceed Guage from DMC  and I am here for it 🤣.

Edited by OPTIMUS124

Just finished Metroid Dread again. Second time playing it. First time finish was 10:18:52 with 79% completion rate. This time I got 6:02:02 and 62% completion rate. 

I don't really care about getting 100% just getting my time down l. I shaved off 4 hours without really trying so sub 3 hours, my usual Metroid goal should be easily doable. 

Edited by RSG3

Like I said I'm addicted to Rogue Legacy 2 right now.  My favorite class is the Gunslinger.  I like the Boxer too. Here are some pictures of it.

5717Pvd.png

tFczfoL.png

E83WrnB.png

I dunno what that big pepper lookin guy is or does.  I found him in one of the levels and he's been here ever since.  I can hit him and he takes damage...I dunno if I can kill him never tried.

My heirs.  The list should be longer but it seems it can only be so long before it starts cutting off older heirs.

spacer.png

ha, niiiiice.... so BloodThirsty decided to make a "Blade" character/build for Blood Hunt recently:

Happy If You Say So GIF

anyway, back on Shadows of New York for a minute.... the last thing was a confrontation with this old Nosferatu named "Kaiser"... I'm not sure if you have a choice of going through that scene peacefully but I'm purposely making things as much of a shitshow as possible here... and had her actually fight with the dude....she might've killed him if Qadir (a vamp Sheriff) didn't show up to stop her.  Really, that would indeed be quite the stupid move on her part though... Julia is a low-rank fledgling trying to make a name for herself...and to attack an older "VIP status" Nosferatu like that?  haha that would surely be a death sentence later.

edit 2---interesting... so in this final scene, I don't even get to choose in the moment what Julia's doing....it's determined by the character "traits" you develop over the course of the story.  Fortunately, the way I've played things has lead up to the desired end result here.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Thought I was ready for Twilight mission in Nioh. This sums up the experience.  

You Will Not Cry Full Metal Jacket GIF

@RSG3like you said, it's a learning experience. Beat it, but by the skin of my teeth. 

You playing Nioh 1?

Yea those Twilight Missions can be pretty tough. What weapon are you using?

3 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Thought I was ready for Twilight mission in Nioh. This sums up the experience.  

You Will Not Cry Full Metal Jacket GIF

@RSG3like you said, it's a learning experience. Beat it, but by the skin of my teeth. 

I found the difficulty spikes in Nioh to be way more severe than the souls games.  I'm going to get around to playing the second one sometimes soon.