Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

naturally I loved Lord of Shadows 2, at least in the beginning part.... it's like that opening sequence was designed specifically for my taste.  I'm sitting on the throne as the legendary Prince of Darkness himself, and here comes these pitiful humans trying to be the hero....heh, foolish mortals.... 🍷 "What is a man, but a miserable pile of secrets?!"

Torchlight 3--- Ember Mage and the Forged character-classes have been fun to play so far....especially since I have my "shadow-step" teleport now as the mage.  In any action-rpg some real fun starts for me once that "quick movement" ability is unlocked.

AMALUR--ah, I'm at the part now that is a potential game-breaker... I may test it later to see if they ever fixed it.  The basic situation:

There is a part where the main quest gives you an objective to break 3 "Chantrys", which are large red crystal-looking things, surrounded by "Tuatha" enemies.  However, it is possible to be in those areas and break the Chantrys BEFORE the main quest tells you to do that.  If you do this, that part of the main quest will become impossible since it won't recognize that you already broke those....at least that is the situation on the original release; I am not sure if they fixed it in the remake.  Anyway, don't break the chantrys before the main quest tells you to do so.  This is in the latter half of the game, on the eastern side of the map.

Edited by MillionX
47 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Chalk up another one for an LOS fan. I really liked LOS1 and liked LOS2 enough. We just rarely got to talk about it on SRK because every time someone mentioned LOS, Po would have a fucking annurism and piss all over the page. 

(inserts random hateful rant about Capcom) 

There fam, you should feel at home now. 👍🏾

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I liked LOS1 as well but I couldn't finish LOS2,the modern setting and stealth missions killed it for me. Back to LOS1 I remember I beat the game on hard from the start. It's one of the few games that let's you change the difficulty setting from the beginning without having to beat the game first on default difficulty. That being said the game was still a little easy, bosses weren't much of a thread, I pretty much beat them with the same two hit combo + dodge, rinse repeat. Satan was the only one I had a hard time with. Everything else was great, the graphics, the setting, the soundtrack was good although it didn't have any of the music any other of the castlevanias are known for I think I only recognized one track from super castlevania IV and that was it. What the game needed was to incorporate more castlevania elements to make it feel more like a castlevania game. They could have done that for the sequel but instead they focused to much on the story side on the second part rather than the gameplay IMO. 

Edited by rukawa_kaede

About

Destroy… Absorb… Grow… GRIME is a fast and unforgiving action adventure RPG in which you crush your foes with living weapons that mutate form and function, and then consume their remains with a black hole to strengthen your vessel as you break apart a world of anatomical horror and intrigue.

An unusual material collapses in on itself, the world shudders and contracts, and suddenly you are squeezed into existence. What awaits you is a world unknown, alien in its own familiarity, and you must survive what terrors you face. Explore your surreal surroundings, absorb the many enemies you encounter, and use their own traits against them as you let yourself become far more than you once were.

GRIME lets you play to your preference, upgrading only those traits you feel most suited to your unique style. You’ll find there is more than one way to break open an enemy as you move through a variety of evocative environments, meet their inhabitants, and discover the source of their madness.

Key Features

Eye-Popping Surrealism – Uncover mysterious secrets in weeping caves and face-covered desserts. Meet otherworldly characters in distinct civilizations across an organic, interconnected world – all rendered in unearthly 3D. Face foes born of the world itself, and swallow them whole.

Living Weapons – Seamlessly swap weapons made of living creatures that mutate form during combat, from clawing swords to centipede whips.

Death-Defying Combat – Punish enemies by parrying their attacks, smash them from the ground or even airborne, and absorb them to grow your strength as you wage war on a living world.

Unique Skill Progression – Hunt down and absorb challenging monsters to improve your skills and bring true customization to your play style.

Challenge Menacing Bosses – Battle against creatures dozens of times your size. Adapt to their strategies, withstand their assault, and consume them to gain game-changing abilities that affect both combat and traversal.

22 hours ago, Skort said:

Tbh it has so many combo routers it gets insane. I can't remember all of them but i know i enjoyed the holy skill tree more even though the shadow one is cool as well.I really does have a complex combat system and when you combine it with the multiple weapon / resources you got, holy water, daggers, pixies and so on it makes for an awesome experience. 

The boss fights were satisfying and i'm not just talking about the Lords of Shadow themselves, oh no, there a  plenty of other bosses that were a lot of fun such as the Butcher / Furnace master , the big ogre in the castle and the list goes on.The platforming was good and the puzzles sometimes made me scratch my head a bit. I dislike having to backtrack on some stages when i find the proper upgrades to unlock a certain path but i't  a minor complaint, i enjoy the game a lot regardless.

I may try Paladin difficulty but this is not an easy game at all imo, it could get intense.

I definitely loved that the puzzles were actually good as opposed to how they are in most action games. I would have been ok with even more but I imagine it would break things up too much. 

Paladin is fun, that's where the combo engine really comes to life like in many action games. You should definitely try it out! 

5 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

What the game needed was to incorporate more castlevania elements to make it feel more like a castlevania game. They could have done that for the sequel but instead they focused to much on the story side on the second part rather than the gameplay IMO. 

I legit don't understand this line of thinking from people. If you played and knew the series, LoS (1 anyway) is Castlevania in spades. I suspect the only people who think it's "not Castlevania" are people who played SotN, Rondo, and a couple other random CV games (probably the Sorrow games, now THOSE are games that don't really feel like Castlevania imo) and based it off that. 

6 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Chalk up another one for an LOS fan. I really liked LOS1 and liked LOS2 enough. We just rarely got to talk about it on SRK because every time someone mentioned LOS, Po would have a fucking annurism and piss all over the page. 

I also liked the LOS series. 

They are serviceable action games and were an interesting take on the Castlevavia series, imo. 

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I legit don't understand this line of thinking from people. If you played and knew the series, LoS (1 anyway) is Castlevania in spades. I suspect the only people who think it's "not Castlevania" are people who played SotN, Rondo, and a couple other random CV games (probably the Sorrow games, now THOSE are games that don't really feel like Castlevania imo) and based it off that. 

interesting you say this

I didn't say that actually, it was a friend of mine who said it. I was going to quote it but i was running out of time so I made it my own.

I think you're right my friend started with SOTN and he fucking loves that game he also has played all the Castlevanias thereafter. He has never touched the older games.

SOTN I think is overrated after i beat circle of the moon i stopped playing all of the igarashi games.

I started with the first castlevania in the nes and i prefer the older games than the new ones with simon's quest and castlevania 3d being some of my favorites.

Edited by rukawa_kaede

After 2 whole days of chipping away at FE3H non-stop, I decided to take a look at how the war between the titular Three Houses happens so I could actually do something productive this week.

Bruh... Wtf is this plot? 🤣

Some stuff makes a lot of sense in hindsight, but damn, that's some crazy stuff.

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Anyone got a suggestion for a good RPG/Strategy game on mobile?

Yeah, grab some emulator and play real games on it.

As for a specific one... I don't really know tbh. Chrono Trigger or one of the GBA Fire Emblems?

3 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Coming from a person that enjoys FG stories, this shit must be fever dream crazy 

You have no idea.

Game is a ton of fun tho, probably the most fun FE I played in a minute, but damn, I was not expecting a lot of these turns.

23 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Amazing how people have been asking for ages for an alternative to EA, and 2K Sports just shits the bed entirely.

Guess we can never have good mainstream sports games

Problem always happens when a company goes unchallenged in an area for awhile cause then they start catching the 'where else are you gonna get this?' attitude.  Dif between EA and 2K is that 2K didn't buy up a license to push other competition completely out of the equation unlike what EA did with Madden.  2K pretty much earned their status then started getting this way cause EA keeps shitting the bed on Live. 

1 minute ago, Sonichuman said:

Dif between EA and 2K is that 2K didn't buy up a license to push other competition completely out of the equation unlike what EA did with Madden.  2K pretty much earned their status then started getting this way cause EA keeps shitting the bed on Live. 

You also have to factor in for NFL games there 3 different licenses you have to get for the one property. 
The NFL can only license out the team names, logos and Stadiums (with team owners can refuse to have their stadium in the game) , the National Football League Players Association are who license out  the players names and likeness, and the NFLPA don't give a shit about merch unlike the NFL, as the NLFPA is a Labor union. 
EA also have to pay royalties to John Madden for his name on the cover. 

1 hour ago, Lantis said:

Guess we can never have good mainstream sports games

We will once people actually put their money where their mouth is and stop buying the same annual sports trash they’re given (and hate)  

until then the fans of those games honestly deserve everything they’re getting. Cause they know all this shit and more will be in the game but they still support it .

3 minutes ago, iStu X said:

We will once people actually put their money where their mouth is and stop buying the same annual sports trash they’re given (and hate)  

until then the fans of those games honestly deserve everything they’re getting. Cause they know all this shit and more will be in the game but they still support it .

Exactly. I know a LOT of people that just drop cash for Fifa every single year.

Whether or not they truly believe that every game actually improves on the old one or they know they're just getting fleeced but buy it anyway for the larger online population and updated rosters is of no consequence. They know exactly what they're getting into and deserve every bit of it.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:58 PM, rukawa_kaede said:

interesting you say this

I didn't say that actually, it was a friend of mine who said it. I was going to quote it but i was running out of time so I made it my own.

I think you're right my friend started with SOTN and he fucking loves that game he also has played all the Castlevanias thereafter. He has never touched the older games.

SOTN I think is overrated after i beat circle of the moon i stopped playing all of the igarashi games.

I started with the first castlevania in the nes and i prefer the older games than the new ones with simon's quest and castlevania 3d being some of my favorites.

You have excellent taste in CV games, those are among my favorites too! I find people who started with the older games are more likely to play and enjoy the metroidvanias than the other way around although even most die hard metroidvania people like at least Rondo. 

i think SotN, while certainly a bit overrated, is still a great game and was a pretty big risk to take at a time when the series probably DID need a new direction so as not to end up like Mega Man. I've played it quite a lot even though when it came out, it took me awhile to really get into it because it didn't have a lot of the things I liked about CV. But I think it stands up as one of the best metroidvanias because it seemed like IGA spent so much time trying to recapture what made it so great in the first place, that the subsequent metroidvanias only showed how great it really was. 

That said, I'm a hardcore CV fan, and if it says Castlevania on the cover, I'll spare no expense and at least give it a chance, so when Konami would decide to go in new directions, to me it meant that while it may not turn out the best, it would at least be something different. So I loved the LoS direction, just like I liked Judgment, and I even had a really good time with Grimoire Of Souls. So I don't understand someone being a fan of the series for a long time and not wanting to see it potentially take new and interesting directions. It's not like you can't play the old games until you're dead if you don't like the new ones. 

2 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Super Castlevania 4 is my favorite [Castlevania] game, and the last one I played. I guess I should try SotN sometime.  I hear it's a game changer, but to be honest the changes didn't really appeal to me being such a fan of the classic style.

Yeah, 1, 3, Super 4 , Bloodlines, and Rondo of Blood (PC Engine) plays completely differently than SotN

SotN is more of an exploratory game with a RPG level system attached to it

Sort of, you need a new item or power to enter areas that previously was not passible. Many of the items are hided with secret paths/doorways sometimes opening to new areas.  One example, There a whole section you can't even get into until you get the Demon Familiar and if you happen to have the demon out while in the correct room, he will hit a button you can never reach. There also parts of the wall you can break or smash open, like how Samus bombs walls. 
Different areas of the castle have their own themes or style to them. 

There also a hidden accessory if equipped before a particular fight, lets you get an alternate outcome where instead of ending the game doubles the size of the Map by revealing the Real (up side down) castle. 

Bit late on this, I was gonna attempt to do this on the phone and went fuck it I'll wait till I get access to my comp again.

NPD September 2020

https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/16/september-2020-npd-avengers-and-mario-lead-strong-transition-into-autumn/

As I posted earlier Switch has been broken the record for being top console in a row so that console was top that month as well.  If switch somehow gets top console for November there will be no words but who knows with the way how 2020 has been going and the supposed supply strain.  

Big winners for this month were Marvel, Super Mario 3D All Stars, Tony Hawk, and Crusader Kings III.  Tony hawk getting top 3 should be a big eye opener right now to Activision.  Make a good Tony Hawk game and people will actually come and buy it?  WHAAAAAT!?  Got a strong feeling that Avengers is going to drop heavily next month.

Top 20 September 2020: Avengers, Super Mario 3D All Stars, Dat Madden 21, Tony Hawk PS 1 +2, NBA 2K21, CoD: MW, Crusader Kings III, Animal Crossing: NH, Star Wars: Squadrons (nice!), MK8D, Crash 4, GoTsu, Ring Fit Adventure, Smash Ultimate, UFC 4, NSMBUD, LoZ: BotW, Super Mario Odyssey, MK11, Super Mario Party.

Best selling games of 2020:  CoD: MW, Animal Crossing: NH, Last of Us Part II, Dat Madden 21, GoTsu, FF7R, Avengers, DBZ: K, MLB The Show 20, Super Mario 3D All Stars,

Best selling games of the last 12 months: CoD: MW, SWJ: FO, Animal Crossing: NH, Dat Madden 20, LoU II, Dat Madden 21, Pokemon Sw, MK8D, GoTsu, Luigi's Mansion 3

Xbox One top 10: Avengers, Dat Madden 21, Tony Hawk's PS 1+2, CoD: MW, Star Wars Squadrons, UFC 4, Crash 4, Forza Horizon 4, Rainbow Six Siege

PS4 top 10: Avengers, Tony Hawk PS 1+2, Dat Madden 21, NBA 2K21,  GoTsu, CoD MW, Crash 4  (only slightly higher than on Xbox...interesting), Star Wars Squadrons, LoU Part II, Minecraft

Switch top 10: Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Animal Crossing: NH, MK8D, Ring Fit Adventure, Smash Ultimate, NSMBUD, LoZ: BotW, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion 3.

Edited by Sonichuman