Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread

59 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

we use those in mexico with the difference they're made from volcanic rock.

I frequently find and record the prehistoric version, called a mano and metate. They're most often made from vesicular basalt.

Edit: actually, they're a little different. Metates are typically larger than motars, and manos can be large enough to use with two hands. I do find mortars and pestles as well, most often the mortars will be formed in bedrock and so are a permanent fixture of a site.

Edited by Chadouken
Added information.
11 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I frequently find and record the prehistoric version, called a mano and metate. They're most often made from vesicular basalt.

metate is another thing to make masa for tortillas and it isn't prehistoric it was still use in the early 90's. They are all made from vesicular basalt but isn't that from volcanic rock so i'm kind of confused.

12 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

it isn't prehistoric it was still use in the early 90's. They are all made from vesicular basalt but isn't that from volcanic rock so i'm kind of confused.

Yeah, basalt is a volcanic rock, but so is rhyolite and andesite. Most of the metates I find are basalt though- I was just being specific is all. 

Metates were being used here where I live and work since at least AD 200, at the beginning of the Formative Period. And there might be evidence they were being used in the Late Archaic when agriculture began to have a bigger influence on lifestyle.

That's cool they are still used in modern times- I actually didn't know that! 

Edited by Chadouken
10 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Yeah, basalt is a volcanic rock, but so is rhyolite and andesite. Most of the metates I find are basalt though- I was just being specific is all. 

Metates were being used here where I live and work since at least AD 200, at the beginning of the Formative Period. And there might be evidence they were being used in the Late Archaic when agriculture began to have a bigger influence on lifestyle.

That's cool they are still used in modern times- I actually didn't know that! 

hmm so where are you from may i ask?

Damn dudes. 

I’m watching the latest blackish episode and I already know how much black folk have been held back since the 1700s for voting, but it opened my eyes how much MORE bullshit they’ve had to jump over just to vote. 

Just brutal. Hit reset on that country and put in a new cart. 

5 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

He's one of my favorite comedians. Always delivers comedic social commentary with surgical precision. 

It looks like he's still messing with his woke jokes from the last Netflix special . I think I like this version better. 

I think it might be time to invest in a mouse. Lately when I play strategy games like Civ on the mouse pad I always end up getting carpal tunnel in my hand. Its one of the reasons I put the game down. Start playing a different strategy game and on day 3 my hand is still killing me 8 hours later. 

Is there anything I can do to avoid my hand hurting like this? It’s not something I need to see a doctor for but it’s really uncomfortable.

I  would use a mouse and get a mousepad with a wrist pad. That would reduce the force compressing the median nerve if it is cts.

Other things to keep on mind:

Have good posture and keep the wrists straight and parallel to the table surface.

Wear a wrist splint at night. It looks like a fingerless glove and can be bought over the counter at places like Walmart/walgreen/sport authority

2 hours ago, Scanman said:

I thought this channel was pretty funny even if it's insufferably biased.

I have to double check one thing (PRs getting kicked out of homes thing). But other than that it all 100% accurate.

They didnt really explain the Jones act too well though. If a ship wants to dock in PR to deliver goods, it has to have a US Flag. So in order for us to get products from other countries, it has tk be shipped to a port in the US and then put on a second ship to Puerto Rico.

They left out a host of other terrible things that have happened to the island too.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

I think it might be time to invest in a mouse. Lately when I play strategy games like Civ on the mouse pad I always end up getting carpal tunnel in my hand. Its one of the reasons I put the game down. Start playing a different strategy game and on day 3 my hand is still killing me 8 hours later. 

Is there anything I can do to avoid my hand hurting like this? It’s not something I need to see a doctor for but it’s really uncomfortable.

If the mouse itself is the actual problem than look at vertical mice like these

They are design to have your wrist in a more natural and comfortable position. If this is too weird for you than you can invest on a mouse pad with a wrist rest.

Edited by Hawkingbird
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

If you're not playing a lot of FPS it may be time to invest in a trackball:

mx-ergo-wireless-trackball-gallery-01.pn

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/mx-ergo-wireless-trackball-mouse.html?crid=7

I own one of these and it works quite nicely.

12 minutes ago, misterBee said:

If you're not playing a lot of FPS it may be time to invest in a trackball:

mx-ergo-wireless-trackball-gallery-01.pn

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/mx-ergo-wireless-trackball-mouse.html?crid=7

I own one of these and it works quite nicely.

Man my dad had one of these as a kid! It was always my favorite mouse to use too, but I always thought it just looked cool. Never knew it had a functional purpose.

Thanks for all the help y’all.

Edit: @Hawkingbirdi think it has something to do with how I position my hand. Using the touchpad usually has my hand making an awkward, almost scratching like position where it’s half open and half closed. I’m fine doing regular computer work or using controllers it’s just when I’m trying to move fast over a period of time using the track pad that I get uncomfortable. 

Edited by Vhozite