Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 2.0

3 hours ago, misterBee said:

A lot of people who hated on Last of Us 2 were basically just mad that they didn't get to play a white guy this time around, and tried to mask it with all sorts of dumb arguments about what was 'realistic' or how 'politics' were ruining their games.  It's all just code for 'I want things to be the same way they always were and change scares me.'  The same game with a male protagonist would have been hailed as a masterpiece, but throw in some LGBT and all of a sudden people are sending death threats.

That's straight up oversimplification, though I agree with the rest of this post. You're letting the extreme minority of the haters (like those cowardly fucknuts who would send death threats) trick you into thinking that was everyone.

Most people who disliked TLOU2 disliked how they handled Joel and Ellie this game. It wouldn't have mattered what sex or color the protagonist was.

Edited by axeman61
4 hours ago, misterBee said:

A lot of people who hated on Last of Us 2 were basically just mad that they didn't get to play a white guy this time around, and tried to mask it with all sorts of dumb arguments about what was 'realistic' or how 'politics' were ruining their games.  It's all just code for 'I want things to be the same way they always were and change scares me.'  The same game with a male protagonist would have been hailed as a masterpiece, but throw in some LGBT and all of a sudden people are sending death threats.

Yea um not true. A lot of people disliked Last of Us 2 for a lot of very valid reasons and a lot of the reason people get all "I dont want politics in my games" is because when they try to talk about it other people over simplify their position like this and misrepresent what they are saying. Sure there where some people who hated to hate, but a lot of people had perfectly valid and well thought out reasons for why Last of Us 2 is badly written...because it is. You're welcome to like it but that Plot works over time to force events to happen a specific way instead of being organic and natural. They wanted a very specific set of things to happen and they bent over backwards to make it so. 

This coming from someone who loves politics in their art, so dont be coming at me like Yuna on SRK did yesterday saying i hate politics in games and am Right Wing or some shit. Puttin a halt to that before it can even start. 

Edited by RSG3

Amazon Prime TV reviews:

Undone - the story of a woman (Rosa Salazar) who begins to see visions of her dead father, Jacob (Bob Odenkirk), after a car accident.

This is the first Amazon show I feel that is outright good.  

It is done in rotoscoped animation which gives it a distinct look, and it has a kind of surreal feel to it.

One of the creators is Raphael Bob-Waksberg who created Bojack Horseman.

It is not really a comedy, but a drama with fantasy/sci f elements.

The lead character, Alma, is one of the more relatable protagonists of an Amazon series. She has a dry humor, and is intelligent but seemingly has a cavalier attitude about life. She gets into a car accident and can seemingly interact with her dead father and can "go back" in time to experience certain events. She is trying to find out the circumstances of her dad's death.

Pros

Rotoscope animation is visually striking.

Rosa Salazar of Battle Angel Alita (2019) gives a good varied performance as Alma.-dry, witty, anguished, etc. 

The supporting cast is generally likeable and there are no characters I hate or dont give a hoot about. 

This show is the best 8 episodes season in recent memory. Tightly paced.

Cons

The resolution to one of the mysteries may be a little flat for some.

Overall:  8.5/10

Amazon Prime  TV Reviews:

The Tick (2016)

Pros:

The costumes are decent.

Peter Serafinowicz does a decent job as Tick as does Griffin Newman as Arthur.

Cons:

The show should be called Arthur, not the Tick.  The first season has Tick meet Arthur when spying on some criminals.

The writers have given him a traumatic past which ties him to the main villain of Season 1.  I can understand him getting a lot of focus since he's our entry into the world of the Tick.

However, in Season 2 this continues and it feels a bit much.

The sister Dot is initially Arthurs watchdog making sure he doesnt get involved in superhero antics, yet she is thrust into a superhero role in training in Season 2. Feels weird to me.  Other than that, she feels extraneous. The female villain , Ms. Lint is more engaging and imo is a better character to focus on.

There are relatively few fight scenes and Tick always defeats the enemy easily. Arthurs suit is super high tech and has lots of gadgets due to the story. Theyre inconsistently used in that he will mop up some villains easily and then struggle to defeat one guy later.

The show is mostly serious with a few laughs here and there. It should be mostly funny with some seriousness here and there.

This should be a straight up PG-13 show. yet there are 2-3 fucks and brief bits of bloody carnage throughout. I know its on a streaming service but not everything has to be "Adult"

The episode count is 12 eps for S1 and 10 for S2.  There is a bit too much filler.

Overall:  6/10.  

A purely average show with some good moments here and there.

5 hours ago, misterBee said:

Basically, times change.  Outrage about 'political correctness' in video games seems dumb to me.  Culture isn't static, and changes all the time.  20 years ago they probably could not have made Spider-Man: Miles Morales because the main character wasn't Wonderbread white, but in 2020 it's fine and I think a lot of people like that character.  Black Panther was a big hit when it came  out a few years ago, but it would have been unthinkable to do such a thing until very recently.  Was Black Panther some dumb 'politically correct' film?  Of course not.  Why is it ok to branch out in other forms of media, but games have to be stuck in the 1990s?

I don't know why gamers are so obsessed with keeping everything the same and freak out the minute something that doesn't fit what they already know shows up.

Twitter often goes overboard but trying to pay attention to the era you're in when you make games is perfectly fine.  This isn't 'making games for Twitter', this is making games for 2020 and beyond.

I didn't realize this was about games and gaming, I thought @Darc_Requiemwas just saying companies in general.

I agree with you that times change, and I think that's fine, and there will always be people who don't want to see things change, but I also think that media companies shoehorn things in because these days there seems to be pressure to include some kind of woke messaging in their products.

I don't really play the games that have this sort of stuff going on so I can't really speak to how it plays out in the games themselves, but I don't see what the purpose of making a thing about a character being gay, trans, whatever, unless it makes a difference in terms of who they are as a character or in the story. In a game like Catherine where relationships are a big part of the story itself, having a gay character with a unique perspective would make a lot of sense and bring something interesting to the story. I didn't really follow any of the drama for TLOS2 so I don't really know what effect a character being LGBQ has on the story other than just so ND can say, "Look, see? We're with it, guys!"

TBH I don't have a problem with people saying they don't want political messaging in their entertainment, we have enough of it seemingly everywhere these days, so I can understand why someone who plays games to escape from that would be pissed that it's trickling in.

Edited by DoctaMario
35 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Amazon Prime  TV Reviews:

The Tick (2016)

Pros:

The costumes are decent.

Peter Serafinowicz does a decent job as Tick as does Griffin Newman as Arthur.

Cons:

The show should be called Arthur, not the Tick.  The first season has Tick meet Arthur when spying on some criminals.

The writers have given him a traumatic past which ties him to the main villain of Season 1.  I can understand him getting a lot of focus since he's our entry into the world of the Tick.

However, in Season 2 this continues and it feels a bit much.

The sister Dot is initially Arthurs watchdog making sure he doesnt get involved in superhero antics, yet she is thrust into a superhero role in training in Season 2. Feels weird to me.  Other than that, she feels extraneous. The female villain , Ms. Lint is more engaging and imo is a better character to focus on.

There are relatively few fight scenes and Tick always defeats the enemy easily. Arthurs suit is super high tech and has lots of gadgets due to the story. Theyre inconsistently used in that he will mop up some villains easily and then struggle to defeat one guy later.

The show is mostly serious with a few laughs here and there. It should be mostly funny with some seriousness here and there.

This should be a straight up PG-13 show. yet there are 2-3 fucks and brief bits of bloody carnage throughout. I know its on a streaming service but not everything has to be "Adult"

The episode count is 12 eps for S1 and 10 for S2.  There is a bit too much filler.

Overall:  6/10.  

A purely average show with some good moments here and there.

I loved Amazon's version of the Tick. I liked the seriousness of the show because how often it would play a situation straight made things funnier. Overkill was so serious it was impossible to take him seriously. Everything about Aegis was great. For a Shield like organization the only reason heroes sign up is for the payback, benefits and free food. I felt the seriousness of it all was apart of the comedy. 

I wish the show had more heroes in it as side characters. It was a shame we never got Miss Liberty 

Edited by Hawkingbird
12 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I didn't really follow any of the drama for TLOS2 so I don't really know what effect a character being LGBQ has on the story other than just so ND can say, "Look, see? We're with it, guys!"

LGBQ is a big part of the story as Ellie is a lesbian and her relationship with Dina is a major part of it. There's also a trans character in Abby story though that character is largely a prop imo. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

LGBQ is a big part of the story as Ellie is a lesbian and her relationship with Dina is a major part of it. There's also a trans character in Abby story though that character is largely a prop imo. 

This is a simple way to sum up my thoughts on companies and how they design character. Do it because it's genuine and organic (Ellie) don't put something in to score points (Abby). Pandering hurts both sides. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Yea um not true. A lot of people disliked Last of Us 2 for a lot of very valid reasons and a lot of the reason people get all "I dont want politics in my games" is because when they try to talk about it other people over simplify their position like this and misrepresent what they are saying. Sure there where some people who hated to hate, but a lot of people had perfectly valid and well thought out reasons for why Last of Us 2 is badly written...because it is. You're welcome to like it but that Plot works over time to force events to happen a specific way instead of being organic and natural. They wanted a very specific set of things to happen and they bent over backwards to make it so. 

I didn't feel the game felt forced at all.  I've always seen the series as being about deeply flawed people making poor choices in a world where violence can be both sudden and random.  I disagree that it was poorly written and think the exact opposite -- it was organic and natural, but the direction it takes is one that a lot of people were not happy with/not comfortable with.  I think the game took central characters and showed them in an ugly and uncomfortable way, which some people were not ready to accept.  Too many games focus on making you happy by reinforcing what you already believe or making you do things you agree with.  The Last of Us 2 does neither and I think some just could not handle that.  It's a depressing game filled with poor outcomes, but honestly I don't know what people were expecting.  Bad things are gonna happen and you're gonna hate it -- but that's also what makes for good drama.  But we can agree to disagree on this.

It's true people people sending death threats are in the minority, but why do they exist at all?  They are an acute symptom of a larger problem -- people simply do not like what they aren't familiar with, and when confronted with a change some people freak out.

I'm just tired of seeing gamers complain constantly over the years.  Every SF game needs to be SF2 but slightly tweaked, Strive isn't really GG, Yakuza can't be a RPG, stop making new FF games and just make FF7 Remake, etc.  Even if they sometimes fail spectacularly, big changes have often proven to be successful -- and yet the idea that what you grew up with is the only way for things to be still persists.  I think it's a real drag for anyone who ever wants to try making something new.  Imagine wanting to try new things/be creative and having an army of people constantly you to rehash what has already been done.  Even worse, when random people seem to think they know what your intentions are for adding things to a game better than you do yourself.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I didn't realize this was about games and gaming, I thought @Darc_Requiemwas just saying companies in general.

I agree with you that times change, and I think that's fine, and there will always be people who don't want to see things change, but I also think that media companies shoehorn things in because these days there seems to be pressure to include some kind of woke messaging in their products.

I don't really play the games that have this sort of stuff going on so I can't really speak to how it plays out in the games themselves, but I don't see what the purpose of making a thing about a character being gay, trans, whatever, unless it makes a difference in terms of who they are as a character or in the story. In a game like Catherine where relationships are a big part of the story itself, having a gay character with a unique perspective would make a lot of sense and bring something interesting to the story. I didn't really follow any of the drama for TLOS2 so I don't really know what effect a character being LGBQ has on the story other than just so ND can say, "Look, see? We're with it, guys!"

TBH I don't have a problem with people saying they don't want political messaging in their entertainment, we have enough of it seemingly everywhere these days, so I can understand why someone who plays games to escape from that would be pissed that it's trickling in.

I was speaking about companies in general. My focus with was on video games, since that's the thread topic. @misterBeeI get what you are saying but that isn't want I'm talking about. I'm talking about the segment of social media, Twitter in particular, that is sensitive about every damn thing. People that don't buy products that they complain about and when companies bend to their will they suffer the consequences. They go off to complain about the next thing that they don't buy and the company is loses money for alienating it's actual fans. There is a reason Marvel and DC comic sales are in the toilet and manga sales are through the roof. The thing about the argument of people "being mad they aren't playing a white guy" doesn't fly with me. Does that apply to some people? Sure but by in large it's used to handwave away genuine criticism. Gaming, scifi, and geek culture in general has been far more open, accepting, and generally wanting new things. The issue is we have bunch of non fans that come in, shit all over the existing product, and call you every -ist in the book if you dare complain it.  

I'm a black man. So they can miss me with that nonsense. Thankfully that gives me some leeway to say what I think with less blow back. Before it was cool to like comics, video games, Star Wars, and Star Trek. I was getting side eyed by people for my fandom and I didn't care. I gravitated towards geek culture because, as the black kid, no one gave a damn. It was place that acceptance was the norm and not the exception. So this virtue signaling bullshit it worth as much a Bison dollars. Their is a difference between culture changing and a vocal minority of an already small segment of the population applying their standards to everything. It would be the equivalent of Broadway plays and musicals changing things for people like me, that aren't fans. I don't buy tickets to nor watch them. So why should a company care what I think and alter their product at the expense of people actually give the company their business.

My friends have always been multicultural. Their is difference between grievance indifference and simply making someone uncomfortable. It's gotten to the point where I've had some of my white friends ask me if it's okay to talk about things we've always talked about. You can't resolve anything if people are walking around eggshells against each other. You have a small segment of white people that try to tell you what to be offended by. It's how you end up with  "fans" of Snake Eyes complaining that he's a white guy. Saying how he should be Asian, when the creator of the character is Asian. It's how you get a "journalist", who is white, complaining about he portrayal of Haitians in Cyberpunk 2077 when creator of the IP is a black man. To compound the issue, when they do find out that Snake Eyes creator is Asian or the Cyberpunks creator is black, they can't hold the L and double down on their nonsense.

Thanks to grifters like Anita Sarkeesian, when something of genuine offense happens, no one cares because they are offended by everything. Like complaining about Bo-Katan (Katee Sackhoff) and Koska Reeves (Sasha Banks) Mandalorian armor. Yes she really did just do that. :tldr:

Edit: Sorry about the rant guys 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I'll alleviate that...

I should make a "Period Paladin" character... maybe call them the Bloodied Padawan..?  Or... whatever...

Baron Boogeran the Vile could be another one.... ooh---or just Boogor the Crusty?

the superchat is a weird thing, man... I'm watching a live stream now, and someone just sent in a superchat just to say he was leaving.  This guy paid money just to support I guess and have that message pop up on screen so the hosts could read it.  Of course, if I were one of these youtube personalities, I definitely wouldn't question it....keep that money rolling in...

On another note it's odd to see so many developers jumping on the girl-power bandwagon in recent years... it seems like we're getting to that point one could say "remember those days when the main character was a masculine dude?"

Edited by MillionX

Speaking of Last of Us, I saw that Last of Us Remastered is free for PS+ on PS5. At the behest of my good freind who says it's one of the greatest games of all time, I decided to try it out. I really enjoyed playing the Uncharted series recently, so why not?

Holy shit, this game is amazing! Hard to believe it was actually a PS3 game at first. And I LOVE the characters. Especially Joel. He's fucking awesome. One of the best videogame characters I've ever seen. And now there's a TLoU part 2 that came out this year. I can't wait to play that shit too. I'm just so glad that I'll be able to continue the journey with Joel. Fucking love that guy 👍

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Anita Sarkeesian

She's who I was thinking of when you mentioned Twitter people trying to bend companies to their will. I dont understand why someone would try to exert their will over something they don't really care about other than to feed their own ego. 

That said, at the risk of sounding cringy, I dont understand the need some have to be able to identify as the player character in a game. Games give you the opportunity to become samurai, vampire hunters, a blue hedgehog, famous athletes, wizards, knights, soldiers, a hot chick who beats people with an electric guitar, etc, all of which are far more interesting than the person playing the game imo. To me, the fact that I'm NOT playing myself is one of the things I always loved most about video games. 

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

That said, at the risk of sounding cringy, I dont understand the need some have to be able to identify as the player character in a game. Games give you the opportunity to become samurai, vampire hunters, a blue hedgehog, famous athletes, wizards, knights, soldiers, a hot chick who beats people with an electric guitar, etc, all of which are far more interesting than the person playing the game imo. To me, the fact that I'm NOT playing myself is one of the things I always loved most about video games. 

The short answer is people want different things from the same things other people enjoy. 

The long answer is some do like the escape of being someone else. Like a Geralt from Witcher or Dante of Devil May Cry, etc. Or sometimes people what a character who’s a blank slate so they could BE that person. Like a Doom Guy or a Link or a villager, etc.  Some like being able to imprint themselves into a character because they genuinely connect with that character. They see something about that character that is parallel to them.  Some people want all of them. . It just depends on what they want in that time. 

I’ll give an example of the latter:  when I was 15 and played Final fantasy 9 I imprinted on the black mage Vivi HARD. As he was born “imperfect” and was considered a “defect” by other black mages of his kind.  He was told but also knew he was going to die sooner then later than everyone else he knew and loved as he was different from everyone else. 

The reason why this correlates with me I was born with a with only half my heart. See: I was born defective.  I’ve came close to dying several times in my life because of it. Even from my literal birth due to my heart. The surgeons and cardiologist who saved me shortly after I was born  originally told my parents my life expectancy was “take pictures of him while he’s still with us” 

ive also been told by every cardiologist I’ve ever had that at some point I will need some massive heart procedure which could be something as severe as a full transplant by the time I’m 40. I turn 34 on Sunday. 

So I connected with him in a very deep way. It’s why he’s my favorite video game character of all time because it was like looking into a mirror. 

Edited by iStu X
9 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I am censoring almost all my curse words.

I've also cut down the amount of confrontations I get in by a good 99%.

Good for you, man. I should probably tone down my language too. Especially when my daughter starts picking up words. Don't want having to go to the principal's office and getting a phone call later on 😂

You doing OK? El Paso and NM are making national news with the covid outbreaks here. This shit is stressful.

12 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Good for you, man. I should probably tone down my language too. Especially when my daughter starts picking up words.

With how much my sister and BIL say fuck I swore it was going to be my nephews first word.

He started swearing a bit at the beginning of the year too. Thankfully he doesn’t anymore but when he did it was in the proper context too.

He’d open the back door and their dog would get out so Truitt would go “Aw, shit! Uh oh!” Or he’d bump his head or drop a toy off the couch and go “oh, fuck!” 

Now they barely cuss and when they do he’s sleeping. 

Edited by iStu X
9 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

That said, at the risk of sounding cringy, I dont understand the need some have to be able to identify as the player character in a game.

Not cringy, people have different preferences. I don't have to identify with the player character because, to frank, I never had that opportunity growing up. If had to identify with the character, I'd never become a gamer. That said, given that fact that I didn't even have the option initially, having a player to identify with can be refreshing. Just another option I have as a gamer.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
7 hours ago, Deadly_Raver said:

Voice of the shadows:  For today's mission, you must find the skinniest dancing chick on YouTube and post it to Megashock.  Do you accept?

Me:  "No worries.  I know someone."

She has a cute face but not my cup of tea. My first girlfriend, from when I was 11, had more of figure than her....and she was petite. Of course I'm one to talk, I was all of 4'8' 83lbs at the time.

45 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I am censoring almost all my curse words.

I've also cut down the amount of confrontations I get in by a good 99%.

🤷‍♂️

Good for you bruv...I have cut out swearing in everyday talking for a while now...but that may be more of the indirect effects of working for the Walt Disney Company... 🤔

Either way I have no reason to swear so I don't. 

Escapism is definitely the main appeal of games for me.  This is why I could never be interested in games that are mostly about realism, like racing sims, most sports games, the recent trend of farming games, shooters where it's just real-world warfare, etc.  It's terribly boring to me.  Bring on more of the vampirism, lycanthropy, aliens, sentient robots, mutants, magic, ghosts, demons, time manipulation, etc.  Reality can't even begin to compete with all that in terms of pure entertainment value.

11 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

See, this is a big problem with the perception of the game. Even people who don't outright hate it don't understand what the story is trying to do. 

The game is not an LGBTQ story. It is a story that happens to have gay and trans characters, period.

Ellie's relationship with Dina is largely about how much Ellie is willing to sacrifice for her revenge, including people she loves. It really has nothing to do with their genders. 

Lev isn't just a prop or some kind random Trans representation. He's a focal point to draw a comparison between all three of these characters, in a game that I feel very obviously tried to drive a point home about finding common ground even in people you initially find despicable.  It's one of the many themes the game tackles, contrary to the simple revenge story a lot of peeps want to write it off as. Ellie is becoming the very thing she hates and the jaded man Joel started as in the first game. Abby is becoming the the more soft and selfless person that Joel WAS becoming because, like Joel, she found something to care about other than herself. And in the end that causes her to commit an act of mercy that was just as contagious as her act of revenge, ending a cycle of malice. 

Lev was also just a cool dude who was actually even helpful sometimes. 🤷🏾‍♂️

It's kind of hilarious to me how a lot of the people most critical on this game either never actually played it themselves or based everything they knew off the contraversy. Not to say there aren't valid criticisms, for sure there are, but I have a hard time believing you get the same expirience actually playing and being around these characters for hours on end as you do just watching someone else play the game, and probably not even from start to finish. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Sorry, I'm not really directing this entire post at you, more using it as a launchpad to discuss my frustration with how much of this game actually went over people's heads. 

Dunkey kind of already said what needed to be said. Every dumbass hyperbolic take you can think of, he refutes with either straight up facts or at the least a very compelling argument that takes the narrative subtleties into consideration. 

And this is a guy that actually hated  the first Last of Us game at first. 🤣

Even with this video, where he does nothing but point out objective truths within the narrative to refute these hyperbolic ass comments, it's got some of the most dislikes he's ever gotten on a video just because he's talking about the game in a positive light. His other TLOU2 video is the same. 🤣🤣

Edited by M A R T I A N

heh, a certain very left-leaning youtube person I was watching yesterday brought up the Harry Styles thing, and apparently Logan Paul mentioned at some point "how is this not manly?" ---really... a guy in a fluffy dress is "manly" now to these people?  C'mon now, lefties... c'mon... that's trolling bs and you know it 🤣  Yeah, he's a guy... that apparently likes to dress up in things like that... but the act of wearing something like that... hardly any rationally-minded person will agree to calling that a "masculine" thing to do.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

edit---with any celeb, I'm always doubting how much of what they do or say is genuine though... there's surely a lot of them that are just doing whatever to desperately try to stay relevant and "interesting".

Edited by MillionX

aha, the dynamic duo here with their latest on the Deep situation:

ohhh and make sure to remember folks... not only is WB apparently ok with Amber, they're also just fine with Ezra Miller assaulting a woman on camera.  (*it was a laughable assault, really....the world's most gentle chokeslam 😄 but legally still counts)

...but old tweets in poor taste from the dude that was Elongiated Man on Flash...those are a no-no and caused him to be publicly fired immediately.... sure, sounds fair, right?🤣  Physical assault is apparently just fine if you happen to be a woman or part of a certain "alphabet" community.

Edited by MillionX

Time for a new phone. RIght now I am inbetween the Pixel 4a 5G and the Pixel 5. There is a $200 difference between the two. The differences that the 5 has for more money are:

• 90Hz refresh rate
  • (Slightly) larger battery
  • 5G Ultra band radio 
  • 2GB more RAM
  • Wireless charging
  • Reverse wireless charging
  • as an IP rating

Anyone here have either device?

Edited by OPTIMUS124
15 hours ago, misterBee said:

I didn't feel the game felt forced at all.

And you are welcome to feel that way and everythibg. I'm not gonna sit here and make up reasons for you for the reasons you feel the way you do and everyone else like you.

Be nice if you didn't do the same for those of us who didnt feel the same way. Thanks.