Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

7 minutes ago, Maxx said:

It Def is a sect of Japanese society. 

Its a sect of most societies to have dysfunctional families. It comes with society. Writing about one doesn't mean its your honest viewpoint of how families should function. Retconning Hei's wife to be as impulsive and insane as he clearly is doesn't mean its reflective of the writers views on women.  I don't really understand why these days writing fiction means the things in your fiction reflects your real world views about complicated subjects and issues. Its just a stupid fighting game story that's used to push a paper thin narrative over so we have some context to why everyone is beating the shit out each other. Its a pretty big leap to say the story of Tekken is a commentary on womens place in Japanese society lol.

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Its a sect of most societies to have dysfunctional families. It comes with society. Writing about one doesn't mean its your honest viewpoint of how families should function. Retconning Hei's wife to be as impulsive and insane as he clearly is doesn't mean its reflective of the writers views on women.  I don't really understand why these days writing fiction means the things in your fiction reflects your real world views about complicated subjects and issues. Its just a stupid fighting game story that's used to push a paper thin narrative over so we have some context to why everyone is beating the shit out each other. Its a pretty big leap to say the story of Tekken is a commentary on womens place in Japanese society lol.

These days? It's always been that way. If anything the idea what you were writing being a reflection of reality was wayyyyy bigger in previous generations. This isnt a new concept or even unique to this time period. 

18 minutes ago, Maxx said:

These days? It's always been that way. If anything the idea what you were writing being a reflection of reality was wayyyyy bigger in previous generations. This isnt a new concept or even unique to this time period. 

I see peoples fiction writing used against them far more these days then I ever did in the past, which is obviously my anecdotal experience, I'm only 35, but it sure seems to have ramped up tremendously the last 15 years. I mean you just used Tekkens story to make a definitive statement about a mans opinion on women in his society.

Fucking Tekken. The game with a Panda Bear who actually does narrative shit. TEKKEN.

Edited by RSG3
15 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I see peoples fiction writing used against them far more these days then I ever did in the past, which is obviously my anecdotal experience, I'm only 35, but it sure seems to have ramped up tremendously the last 15 years. I mean you just used Tekkens story to make a definitive statement about a mans opinion on women in his society.

Fucking Tekken. The game with a Panda Bear who actually does narrative shit. TEKKEN.

I was mostly joking, but video games and media being a reflection on how men see their culture isn't even remotely a stretch. Their are books written on this exact perspective. 

I wouldn't even think this way even as a joke of they didn't retcon the story to fit akuma in. Her wanting to murk heihachi is also an attempt to try and make the series about more Grey's than black and white. 

In the beginning heihachi was the bad guy and Kazuya was the tragic victim. Also you can see it as a question of are you a product of your society or born that way. 

21 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

You overthinking a fighting game plot. Main story of Tekken has always been the ultimate family feud with everything involving the Mishimas being played for drama. It's as deep as your daytime soap. 

Maybe, maybe not. They obviously put effort into these stories. Just like soul calibur has an epic effort into the story. I'd say it's easy more effort than that, it's a two decade story that led to the finale in 7

31 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

You overthinking a fighting game plot. Main story of Tekken has always been the ultimate family feud with everything involving the Mishimas being played for drama. It's as deep as your daytime soap. 

True true. Tekken 7 trying to make Heihachi a tragic figure is still terrible though.

6 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I was mostly joking,

I know you where but even jokes can lead to real conversation.

but video games and media being a reflection on how men see their culture isn't even remotely a stretch. Their are books written on this exact perspective. 

Sure, and sometimes that is in fact the case. Doesnt mean it always is tho.

I wouldn't even think this way even as a joke of they didn't retcon the story to fit akuma in. Her wanting to murk heihachi is also an attempt to try and make the series about more Grey's than black and white. 

I dunno man. Pretty sure its then running out of old Grandpas to resurect and dipping into a different branch of a really fucked up family tree. None of the Mashimas are good people to be perfectly honest with you.

8 minutes ago, Maxx said:

In the beginning heihachi was the bad guy and Kazuya was the tragic victim. Also you can see it as a question of are you a product of your society or born that way. 

And look how many times they retconned the fuck out of the story in order to keep it going. Almost every game changes some kinda bullshit about the story to force it to keep going. Hei was the villain and Kaz the tragic hero. Now both are total assholes (Tho really Kazuya was always an asshole.) Then it was Jin as the new hero, but then he turned into a really questionable guy to force a World War narrative to keep the story going. Now old dead granpas and mommies are being resurected and dug up whole cloth to keep it going. Tekkens story is a joke lol.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I know you where but even jokes can lead to real conversation.

Sure, and sometimes that is in fact the case. Doesnt mean it always is tho.

I dunno man. Pretty sure its then running out of old Grandpas to resurect and dipping into a different branch of a really fucked up family tree. None of the Mashimas are good people to be perfectly honest with you.

And look how many times they retconned the fuck out of the story in order to keep it going. Almost every game changes some kinda bullshit about the story to force it to keep going. Hei was the villain and Kaz the tragic hero. Now both are total assholes (Tho really Kazuya was always an asshole.) Then it was Jin as the new hero, but then he turned into a really questionable guy to force a World War narrative to keep the story going. Now old dead granpas and mommies are being resurected and dug up whole cloth to keep it going. Tekkens story is a joke lol.

Yep, it is crazy that Tekken the rival to one of the blandest but technical fighters ever in Virtua Fighter, some how has a more cooky story then Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter.

D3---ok yeah...that drop rate on the damn haunted visions amulet must be insanely low.  Previous post I was at paragon 80-something... now I'm around 144 or so...annnnd nothing.  Not even one time has that item dropped.  This is quite annoying, because it handicaps the build SO much if you don't have the amulet....like to the point where I'd rather just use an entirely different build.  It's like I'm finding every other amulet in the game except that one....just a while ago, I found a legendary amulet I've never even heard of.  The game is in pure troll mode on this issue....starting to remind me of those days of Phantasy Star Online; drop-rates for ultra-rare items in that were just laughable... crazy shit like "0.02% chance.." ---from a particular rare enemy which also has a low chance of appearing....probably one of the main reasons that lead so many PSO fans down the path of just duping things.

Sheeeittt, time for some more Doom Eternal in a minute....

Edited by MillionX
10 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

>Name event fuck Nintendo

>Play Nintendo games

Despicable Me Lol GIF

How are they sticking it to the man by supporting them? Also, having Nintendo's name on there is begging for the C&D. 

Nintendrones are so fucking stupid. 

I can't wait for them to get CnD'd for using Nintendo's name without permission for their tournament. 

Retards. 

I don't know what happened but as of last week black ops 3 has been unplayable due to shit like this

I  guess having 6 perks and attachments while using firebreaks ability on any character wasn't enough for these lames since even then I could still beat them most of the time.  Now they just all gotta be full on invincible/invisible as well while using EVERY ability.  

I could not careless about Nintendo's "competitive" games. Neither does 99.999999% of people that buy Nintendo games. Nintendo is a bastion of single player gamers. These dudes just like taking Ls. Go ahead, "stick it to the man" , in a segment of the market they give zero fucks about. That'll show em'. 👀 Meanwhile, I'm gonna chill and look for forward to the next Fire Emblem game I can drop like $80 on and get a 1000 hours out of.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

@AngelI am sure he won't listen but I actually tried to give him some friendly advice. Told him that if he wants the tournament to  happen he'd be wise to drop Nintendo from the event name. I'm sure he won't listen, but hey I tried. 😉

Edit: Dude already changed the name. Guess there is hope after all.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@AngelI am sure he won't listen but I actually tried to give him some friendly advice. Told him that if he wants the tournament to  happen he'd be wise to drop Nintendo from the event name. I'm sure he won't listen, but hey I tried. 😉

Someone needs to tell the guy his support the devs stance is a useless gesture. The devs are an internal team of Nintendo and there's no separating them from the publisher. The execs they want so badly to defy will take their cut first and the rest will trickle down. The naivete is painful to see. 

Well back into the crazy world of Doom Eternal... there's one fight I just couldn't beat at all last night; tried it again a little while ago, still no luck.  This game really throws everything at you from all directions 100% of the time... and I've heard the DLC that came out recently is even harder.  Oddly enough... I'm still enjoying this shit.  The moment-to-moment action of powerful demons spawning in from everywhere.... no place on the map is safe for more than a second.... it all comes together like such a delicious meal.  This fight I'm stuck at currently... they haven't even brought out the heavy-hitters yet when I usually get worn down... I'm sure there's a Baron or 2 or 5 that will appear eventually in the mix.  ...oh and I still haven't even played the battle-mode yet.

One thing that does irk me though is that you are constantly starved for ammo in this game.  That's one aspect of the difficulty that I don't enjoy at all. 

edit---ok YEAH... Battlemode is THE SHIT, folks... ha, it's a downer when I get to be the Slayer though... naturally I'm more interested in playing as a monster.  I was a Mancubus on that first match.  

I'm guessing there's little to no real matchmaking algorithm going on there...?  My first match... and I'm placed with a level 24 against a Slayer who was level 40. 😄  Surprisingly we held out for a while and actually won a round off that guy.  

There's some interesting details of how it all works... as demons, you get to summon other demons and hazardous zones on the battlefield to keep the pressure on the Slayer....but you can also "block" out the loot drops the Slayer gets from killing demons, to starve him of any health and ammo pickups.  This is love at first sight here, this game.

edit 2---the 2nd match I played was as Slayer, unfortunately....but DAMN....that feeling of satisfaction when get a perfect direct rocket hit on a player demon, bruh..

wooo GIF

Edited by MillionX

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron coming to PC

“It’s currently in development, but since I imagine people would like to know its progress, I’d like to share its status from time to time,” Takeyasu said of the Steam release. “Also, since the hardware has changed from Xbox and PS3 to PC, we’re making things like a launcher that doubles as an options for switching between English and Japanese voice-overs and text.”

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron first launched for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in April 2011 in Japan, followed by August 2011 in North America and September 2011 in Europe.

Key Features

• Expect the unexpected. El Shaddai defies gaming convention by mixing a wide variety of game play styles including 2D side-scrolling action and 3D exploration.
  • Lose yourself in the compelling storyline based on the ancient apocryphal tome, The Book of Enoch, but told with a modern flare and uniquely artistic approach.
  • Innovative “Zero HUD Player Feedback System” utilizes dynamic environment, character, and audio clues to keep the player engaged without cluttering the screen with extraneous indicators and information.
  • The three-button control system is simple to use yet surprisingly deep, delivering exhilarating, flowing action that allows both casual and hardcore players to enjoy the game at their own pace.
  • Fluid environments with constantly dynamic elements create a flowing living world filled with a wide variety of unusual landscapes unlike anything previously seen in gaming. This is enhanced by high production value cinematic cut scenes to an inspirational full orchestral music score.
  • All weapons are forged from crystalline heavenly knowledge beyond the grasp of humanity and possess supernatural powers. Among them is the Arch, a holy blade with the hidden power to slice through anything.

18 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I'm out of the loop can you explain? 

Apparently there is joke in the Monster Hunter movie that was mistranslated into an offensive Chinese idiom that triggered people and the movie got yanked the day of release. Tencent is involved so how it slipped through the cracks is beyond me. Wouldn't want to be the guy at Tencent that has to explain this to the government. Chinese gamers are review bombing Monster Hunter World.